Death

I sighed and pushed the pills into my mouth. Quickly, I undid the cork of the small bottle and tipped the contents into my mouth.

The medicine took some time to come into action. Finally, I'll be gone. I'll be free.

Then, I started feeling dizzy. Very dizzy. As I fell backwards onto my bed, I tasted blood in my mouth.

I coughed and there was blood dripping from the corner of my mouth. Everything was spinning. I couldn't breathe.

I struggled, trying to catch breath but it felt as if someone was choking me.

And then, it all stopped. All of a sudden, it was over.

I blinked and it felt as if an invisible force was pulling me up into a sitting position.

Everything around me was grey. Like in old movies.

A voice spoke. It felt as if it was coming from all directions. "Why?" It said.

There was an echo and then, standing in front of me was a tall, cloaked figure.

It spoke again in its terrible voice. "Do you think killing the innocent is not enough for me?!
Do you think it's easy? Taking away lives!? I have seen the faces of the people before they die. They plead. Beg for me to spare them. I want to but I can't. And then, here you are. Killing yourself! It is the greatest of cowardice. The worst of all sins! Have you got any idea what you have done?!"

I stared at the figure. Who was he? Or was it a 'she'? Why was it shouting at me? What was going on? Was I dead?

The figure came closer, standing only inches away from me.

"This is so so wrong." It said, softly this time. I realised it was a man's voice. "You had a choice. And this is what you chose. How ungrateful you are!"

Finally, I found my voice. "I killed myself because there was no reason for me to live. My life was Hell so I ended it."

"You have no idea what you have missed!" He cried. "But now, I'll show you."

"Who are you?" I asked.

He removed the hood from over his face. He was whiter than a sheet. His eyes were scarlet. And his lips were pulled into a taunting smile. I was terrified.

"I'm Death." He said, softly. "Now, come on."

I stood up against my will. I looked back at where I had been sitting. My bed wasn't there anymore.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked in a small voice.

"I'm going to show you what you have left. All the things you were never grateful for. Everything you have left because of that one foolish moment. Now, follow me."