Chapter One- The Moon Pool

THE MOON POOL
1

Daniel Howell or Dan as his friends called him was sat impatiently tapping his fingers on his desk. It was the last day of term and Dan was looking forward to his traditional end of term camping trip to mermaid island with his best friend Chris.

Dan always wondered why it was called mermaid island. He never believed in mermaids and never had a reason too. His parents told him as he was growing up to stay away told him it was dangerous, but when Dan asked how it was dangerous he never was given a reason. Mermaid island was a taboo subject and Not often spoken about. it had been avoided by man for many generations. However Dan always felt drawn towards the island and had managed to persuade Chris to come camping with him their multiple times before. Dan never understood why he and all other children were taught at a young age to stay away. On his visits he has never encountered anything that could have been at all threatening.

The school bell rang for the last time that term and Dan stood tall and swung his school bag over his shoulder and shot out of the boring classroom shortly followed by Chris.

***
"Dan? Are you ready for dinner? " his mother called from downstairs, Dan had just finished packing his bag for camping and was starting to get hungry. He skipped Down the stairs ready for his meal.
" I'm guessing Chris and yourself are going camping as usual? " dans dad spoke. Dan nodded. He told His parents he was going camping but he never told them he would be taking a boat out to the forbidden island.
" got all your gear? "he asked
Dan nodded once more making a mental note to fill up the tank on his little speed boat.
A few minutes of eating and small talk later Dan was standing by his front door ready to go.

It was getting dark and the full moon had started to rise it illuminated the light drops of rain that fell from the sky.

Dan made his way to the peer and saw two figures standing on the jetty by his speed boat.

"Dan, this is my step brother, Phil. My dad kind if forced me to bring him along." Chris explained.

The boy 'phil' had dark black hair and bright blue eyes he had earphones in his ears blaring music that Dan could just about make out to be muse. Something about his appearance seemed repulsive to Dan. But he didn't want to upset his best friend and make a fuss.

The three boys all boarded Dan's speed boat Dan and the back and Chris and Phil in the front. The engine soared and the boat set sail over the choppy waters towards the forbidden island.

"MERMAID ISLAND?! " Phil yelled sounding shocked as the boat neared the forbidden territory. It was the first time Dan had heard him speak.
" IT'S DANGEROUS WHY ARE WE HEADING TOWARDS IT?" he panicked

"it's okay we have been before there's nothing to worry about its perfectly safe" Dan huffed

"it obviously isn't I was told to stay away since I was born! "Phil yelled

" it's fine" Dan snapped shutting Phil up.

The rest of the journey was silent as they reached the island. Dan hopped out the boat the water was at his ankles as he dropped his anchor in the shallow water. Chris hopped out followed by Phil who gave Dan a look that could kill as he walked past.

It took the team of boys about five minutes to collect all of their things from The boat and about ten more to set up camp.

"I'm going to find somewhere to take a leak" Chris said as he hopped into the jungle like scenery.

"you can come with me to collect firewood then" Dan said to Phil who shrugged and followed Dan in the opposite direction that Chris went.

***
"are you sure we're not lost?" Phil moaned at dan
They were the been walking for almost an hour and had still not found their way back to camp.
"check your phone?" Phil asked
"what makes you think I can get reception here? "Dan replied bitterly.