Stowaway

It all started by voicing his opinion.

Zuko, crowned prince of the fire nation, was exiled after standing up for the innocent men of his country. After which his own father challenged him to an Agni Kai, branding him with a scar on his face for the rest of his life.

He could not return until he found the Avatar, who has been missing for over a hundred years.

I am Miri, a generals daughter. I've spent my whole life with Zuko, we grew up together, and I am not ashamed to say that he is my best friend. He was there when Azula tried to give me a scar similar to the one he has now, he was there when my brothers wanted to use me as a target for their firebending . And now I will be here for him, even if he doesn't know it.

Stowing away on ships is illegal , but is it really stowing away if you're part of the crew?

The helmet hides my face , I am the watchman, or in this case, the watchwoman. I stay up here, yelling if we encounter obstacles, I eat here, and then I go to my quarters to sleep. I don't get to be with Zuko very often , and when I am I can't talk to him, but its comforting to be near him in his time of need.

* * *

It's three long years until we find the avatar, the other crew members have come and gone, but I have stayed by his side, even if he has no idea who I am.

The avatar was with the southern water tribe. Like everyone else, I was surprised we actually found him, but I was even more surprised that he was a child, he couldn't have been older than twelve.

We had him, Zuko was so close to going home, but then the Avatar escaped, using the bending abilities from his past lives. And then he left on a flying bison with a girl and teenage boy. If I hadn't seen it myself I wouldn't believe it either.

Now we don't know where he is, but he is alive and that was good enough for Zuko. Sometimes, hope just manifests itself in all the wrong ways, Zuko wants to capture the Avatar to revive his honour, I want to capture the Avatar to bring him home and win this war.