Chapter 1: Invite

Chapter 1

Katniss P.O.V.

"Slumber party", Annie says. "That's fun".

"Yeah, maybe", I say.

I'm talking to Annie in the phone. We're trying to plan my eighteenth birthday. None of us likes to go out and drink and get drunk, so we'd rather have fun at home.

I don't have a lot of friends to invite to a slumber party though, I have my best friends Annie Cresta, Clove Sevina and Madge Undersee. But I love them and they're all I need. I'd rather have three real friends than a hundred fake friends.

And Clove is actually my cousin so it's like she has to be my friend. She's so much alike her mom, which is my father sister, but they're not alike, not that much to be honest.

"But there would only be, you, Madge Clove and myself", I add.

"What about that new girl? She seems cool", Annie says.

"What Johanna?" I ask and shake my head. "Why would she want to come to a lame slumber party with no alcohol?"

"Well maybe she does want to, what says that she's like everyone else who likes to get drunk? Maybe she's like us?" Annie argues.

"Hardly", I mumble.

"Well it wouldn't hurt to ask her Kit", Annie says mildly.

"Fine I'll ask", I say.

"Great, oh and see you soon", she says.

"Yeah I'll be there in four minutes", I say and hang up the phone. I throw the phone beside my bag in the passenger seat before turning on the engine to my car.

It's new so still learning it but it's been going well so far.

It's not a long way to my high school. Unfortunately we live pretty close to it. I mean it's good and all when you have to get there, but when you want to get out of there, you don't have w long way home and you just don't want to be close to school.

Or at least I feel that way. My other friends, not so much. They like school. Yeah can you believe it? Nope neither can I.

When I told Annie that I'd see her in four minutes, I wasn't joking, it takes like three minutes to drive. So I don't really know why i take the car. But oh well, I don't feel like walking. Walking takes just a little bit longer, because you have to go around everything, so it takes like ten minutes. It's not very long but still.

When I pull in on the parking lot to the school I find a spot and park it. I sit still in the car for a while.

I don't wanna go into the building. I hate school. Not because I'm bad in school, but because the people in the school are so cruel. There are all these rules about how you can look and what clothes you can wear. It's just... Ugh.

I lean back in the seat and pull up my sleeve. I just look at my arm. There are some old cuts and some fresh once. The most recent once I made yesterday night. I couldn't sleep and I continued to have all of these nightmares and I couldn't help myself. I'm trying to stop but I can't.

Annie, Madge and Clove doesn't know about it. I act like nothing is troubling me. Like I wear shorts and short skirts, but I use long sleeved crop tops, so they don't really notice any difference. And that's how I want it to be. So that's how it's going to be.

I jerk when I hear a knock on the window. I quickly pull down the sleeve and look at the person.

Annie.

I grab my bag and phone from the passenger seat. I sigh and open the door. Annie jumps to the side to let me open it properly.

The only thing I can think of is that I hope she didn't see what I was looking at.