How Long Is Forever?

We sat there underneath the trees when you took out the locket. I was surprised then, taken aback by the gesture, and the ornate decorations on it. It was a golden heart, adorned with various jewels and a very intricate design of swirls on the entire thing. I exclaimed how much it cost, but you said it didn't matter as you reached around my head, fastening the chain around my neck, your long strawberry blonde hair going into my mouth as you did. I sputtered the hair out of my mouth when you pulled back, and you laughed in that way you did, so infectious that it got me laughing too. 

When I held it in my hand, it's luster shining bright in the setting sun, I could feel your warmth coming off of it. I saw the word "Promise" on the front, being integrated into the swirls I saw earlier. When you said to open it, my finger already pressed the button, the locket swinging open right when you finished. I saw 2 pictures of us, one was us together side by side at that country fair last year. I giggle a bit when I remember you having to stand on a box to be visible. The next picture shows our hands making a heart over some pavement. I smile at that and close the locket, driving my attention to your warm, comforting auburn eyes. You told me to flip it over, which I did. I found the word "Forever" in cursive, followed by a curved question mark. I smiled again and told you "Yes, I promise". 

We leaned in close and hugged each other, and I whispered "Do you always have to be so cryptic?" into your ear, being careful not to get a mouthful of your hair. You giggle at that and pull back, your luscious pink lips shining in the light. Your lips suddenly meet mine, forcing my hands to keep my balance. My surprise was short lived as I embraced the kiss, the sun finally setting over the horizon leaving us alone in it's fading purple light.In that moment, I thought we really meant forever.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Now I sit by your bedside, one hand holding both of yours, the other clutching the locket. Your pale lips and sunken cheeks frighten me to no avail. The only sign I have left of you is your auburn eyes, though when i try looking in them for that comfort they always gave me, all I feel is a strange emptiness. The sunset behind me gives no sign of that day long past, instead filling me with a dread I try to ignore as I clutch the locket in my hand. 

I look away from you and look at the locket, the light struggling to shine on the lost luster, now focusing on my sweat. The gold color was chipped away, the embedded jewels lost, only a few left in the brown metal. The word "Promise" is nearly lost along with the intricate design, leaving only bits and pieces of the letters. I turn it over, the word "Forever" lost from the chipped paint, the question mark is the only thing that's intact, though I suspect it will soon be lost too. I don't bother to open it, knowing the clasps holding the pictures were lost long ago, the pictures themselves lost to the wind.

My eyes water as I stare at you again, your eyes finally meeting mine. You try to lean up to reach me, but my lips meet you halfway. Our lips part after a second and you lie back down, your slow breathing keeping me aware that you are still alive. A nurse appears at the doorway, and I hesitantly get up, leaving the locket by the bedside, leaving my memories with you for what it's worth. I whisper in your ear "I'll be back" as I walk towards the door. As I close the door, the nurse asks if I'm alright. I ask her the one question that's been on my mind since you got in here: "How long is forever?"