daisy in a field of roses

I could not go more than ten minutes without any interruptions. I had managed to get comfortable on my bed, legs crossed, a good book on my lap, when I heard a knock on my bedroom door.

I suppressed a loud groan, took in a deep breath, and swung my legs out of my duvet and unlocked the door. I pushed the blonde hair back from my face as I opened it.

"Armin? May I speak with you?" My grandpa was standing at the door, looking quite exhausted.

Well, duh, I don't have a choice anyways. "Yes, of course," I replied, smiling, trying to hide my irritation. I sat down at the edge of my bed, my feet dangling over the side.

My grandpa pulled out my computer chair from my desk and sat down in it. "Since school starts next week, I want to go over some things with you."

I held my tongue. You had no idea as to how much patience it took to keep half of my thoughts down. "Okay," I responded, holding up a hand. "Question. Does this have to do with me?"

He paused, a small hint of a sad smile on his face. "Yes, a bit. It's about how ... social you are, I suppose?"

"Yeah, I get it," I said. "I'm not a social butterfly." I crossed my arms, feeling a bit irritated. I heard the same thing every year.

"You're turning sixteen this year. It is your eleventh year of high school and you only have a few friends. Whilst everyone is out having fun, you sit inside and read all day."

"Reading is fun," I protested. I felt an anger surge up in my chest and I held my breath. Well, what he is saying is true. Don't deny it.

"All I am saying is that you need to get out more. Try to make some new friends this year, okay? Live a little," he replied, standing up.

Live a little? What does that old man know about living? "I'll try, I guess. Last time I checked, nobody wants a quiet book nerd to be their best friend," I said.

"You're more than a quiet book nerd. Armin, just speak up is all I'm asking. You have a lot in store inside that tiny body of yours." Obviously thinking this was motivational, he gave a smile and left, closing the door behind him.

I fell on back onto my bed, my arms out to my sides. I took in a deep breath and sighed it out, closing my eyes.

You know he's right. I mean, you radiate awkward, you nerd.

I reached for my book at the edge of my bed and picked it up, thumbing through the pages and finding where I had left off.

I got it. I'm not much. I'm different. I'm like a daisy in a field of roses. Nobody is going to pick the daisy, they're going to wonder why it's different than the rest.

I read until sleep dragged me under its peaceful spell.