BBC Sherlock - Jam

Stupid Sherlock making me get the groceries again. Why can't he get it for once?

John looked at the long queues at the checkouts and groaned. He was going to be waiting for ages. And he was NOT going to use the self-serves. Never. They can all just go die in a corner for all he cared.

John sighed as he looked down at the shopping list:

beans

broccoli

JAM

plum sauce

milk

rice

magical mushroom essence

Wait. Magical mushroom essence? John's eyes narrowed.

I thought Sherlock had given up on drugs. And if he was starting up again, why did he put it on the grocery list? Did he think I could just pick some up at the supermarket?

He just shook his head and decided to move on. Getting a basket he grabbed some broccoli and beans before heading into the sauces section. He had just put a bottle of plum sauce with the rest of the groceries when he had just happened to look up and see a black bottle labelled "Magical Mushroom Essence".

Oh...so I can get it at the supermarket.

He picked it up and looked at the back,

Ingredients: mushrooms, wine, salt, sugar, arrowroot

"Great for marinating steak" John read aloud

John raised his eyebrows and put it in his basket. He was going to Google it when he got back to the flat.

He picked up some milk, and a large bag of rice for Sherlock – he wanted to do some experiments which John didn't want to know about – before making his way to the Jam shelf.

John's heart beat faster as he skipped down the aisle. He was going to get some of his favourite Jam! Strawberry! He licked his lips excitedly. But, when he reached the shelf, his stomach dropped.

It was EMPTY!

"NOOOOOOO!" he cried

Several people looked at him oddly. John was starting to hyperventilate.

They can't...it can't...no...it's impossible...

Trying to calm down he quickly looked around in search of someone in charge. A young man in the supermarket's uniform was coming down the aisle, placing more items on the shelves.

"Excuse me," John walked up to him, "But would you know where the Jam is?"

The boy looked at the Empty Jam Shelf.

"Uh, sorry sir, but I think it's all gone. We should have some more tomorrow"

"TOMORROW?!"

The boy stepped back in fright. John huffed as he turned away. He was not going to wait until tomorrow. He needed Jam now. John ran a hand through his hair. What was he going to do?

The neon light above his head flickered slightly. He knew what he had to do.

Casually walking through the supermarket, John examined the items in every trolley and basket he passed.

Then, in the baby section, he saw it!

STRAWBERRY JAM!

John jumped in delight and giggled like a school girl.

I mustn't give myself away

He steeled himself and pretended to be interested in the baby wipes on the shelf. Out of the corner of his eye he saw the owner of the trolley, a very short woman who looked to be in her nineties, turn to the shelves to take something.