Sun of Drizzlle

• Dedicated to Mariness Rivera

Sun of Drizzlle

CHAPTER 1:

MY EYES SCANNED THE ROOM FOR NOTHING IN PARTICULAR. THE BEAMS OF sunset struck through the glasses on the roof, lighting the huge room that seemed small for the crowd. Everyone was dressed to kill. Ladies were in their glamorous party dresses while men were in their pair of tuxedoes and bow ties. Most of them were talking about business, Wall Street and the likes that made me dizzy just by hearing it. Some lovely couples were dancing at the center of the room as the orchestra band played.

Even in this place of biodiversity, I was so out of place. I was the only one in the entire room who sat silently in an empty table with no one to talk to. Of course I didn’t come to this party alone but I was not their priority. Not now. Not ever.

I heaved a deep sigh to shake away the distressing thought. I stood and left the spot where I probably would have grown roots if I had stayed longer. I decided to have a break and breathe fresh air. I asked a hotel staff to get my coat then headed for the hotel’s main door to exit to the busy 77th street of Manhattan, New York.

The cold breeze of late November welcomed me and it caused me to shiver even with my fur coat on. But it didn’t matter; I needed to get away from the depressing place inside. I couldn’t stand their hypocrisy, with all those fake smiles plastered in their faces. I wandered on the sidewalk without a specific destination in mind.

I began to notice that people are looking at me as I passed them by. I felt embarrass so I slightly bowed my head out of habit to hide my face behind my hair but I forgot that it was fixed in a bun with just a couple of loose twirls in the sides.

I felt relieved when I walked out of the streets and found myself in the Central Park. Just the place I needed. Though I had lived in New York my entire life, I had only visited this place thrice during some unpleasantly ended escapades of mine.

Somewhere in the park, I heard a voice singing accompanied by strums of a guitar. It was the most lovely and serene voice of a man I had ever heard. I walked toward where the voice was coming from and I saw a man sitting in a bench, his back on me. Passers-by had stopped to watch rather listen to him. I circled around the crowd to see his face.

He had pale skin, unshorn sandy locks and outdoorsy good looks. In spite of the dim light of dusk, he glowed like he’s emitting life in the dead twilight.

He’s singing with his eyes closed about love. I knew I can hear each words but it’s only a blur in my mind. The music overpowered the lyrics, like the tune was bewitching me. And then his eyes opened and the world seemed to slow down. It completed the perfect feature of his face and made him even more handsome.

His gaze fixed on me and I couldn’t will myself to look away, afraid that if I took my eyes off him, he would disappear into thin air. The song ended and people applauded then they walked away like they woke up from a trance.

I hadn’t realized that I’m the only one left there until he spoke with amusement in his tone. “Are you just going to stand there and stare at me or sit over here and talk to me?”

I felt my face getting hot as I blushed out of embarrassment. How long have I been staring at him? I thought. I looked away from his face but my gaze fell to his magnificent-looking guitar. I always wanted a guitar for myself but I was never allowed to have one.

“I don’t talk to strangers.” I replied.

“So, you don’t talk to strangers. You just stare at them.” He teased. “Staring is rude, you know.” Then a playful grin stretched his lips.

Arrogant bastard,

 I should’ve known. I turned to the direction where I came from to walk back.