Chapter One

A scream leaves my mouth when I jolt upright in a cold sweat. I scramble in my bed, shivering. I reach for Katniss, but she isn't there. Strange. I pant, trying to calm myself down that it was just a dream...it was just a dream...

Today was the Reaping. The Reaping for the 74th Annual Hunger Games. I was sixteen now, my fourth Hunger Games. I still haven't gotten over the terror it brings upon me that particular day of every year.

I slowly crawl out of bed, searching the old and battered dresser for something nice to wear to the Reaping. My mother isn't yet awake. I shouldn't disturb her; events like these might let her slip back into her depression. Too bad she can't stay here. It's mandatory everyone attends the Reaping unless you're on the verge of death. It's also a way for the Capitol to keep track of the population.

I take a cold bath, and wash my hair, even though my mother'll yell at me because we can't afford it. Oh well. I braid my blonde hair into a fishtail braid that is slung over my shoulder-like Katniss's usual hairstyle.

I quietly read while I sit in the rocking chair, until my mother wakes up. "Prim," She says sleepily, "Where's Katniss?" I shrug, and continue to read. She slings her feet over the bed and stretches, before finding a nice soft baby blue blouse and a brown skirt for me. "Get dressed, I need to go look for your sister." My mother kisses me on the forehead, before grabbing her small purse and venturing out toward the Hob.

She doesn't return until thirty minutes before the Reaping begins. "Where's Katniss?" I ask. She would show up by now.. "I don't know. I asked Hazelle, and Gale's missing too! They're not at the Hob, and I don't dare go into the woods." My mother says. She's shaking now. "Katniss'll turn up, Mom. Don't worry," I rub her back soothingly, but I don't even I believe that lie.

The siren blares, and Mom is just finishing pinning up my hair ("You are not wearing your hair like that to the Reaping!") before she is pushing me out the door. We trust that Katniss will show up at the Reaping, and we'll all come back to our house for a celebratory dinner, in honor that we're not dying that year!

I get in line with the other sixteen-year-olds and frantically search the eighteen-year-olds for Katniss or Gale. Nope. Neither of them are there. Now I'm really worried. If Katniss is caught not attending the Reaping, she'll be shot dead.

I try to shake out my nerves, but I know I'm pale white and clammy. Effie Trinket, District 12's ridiculously cheery escort who had a fashion sense of a three-year-old, trotted onstage. She had a blindingly neon pink wig on, and she looked like a clown did her makeup. I shouldn't think so negatively of her... She's a clueless, brainwashed slave of the Capitol.

She taps the microphone, and everyone's attention is on her. "Welcome, welcome! We're all very excited, now, aren't we?" She smiled awkwardly before hastily moving on. "Let's get right to it! As usual, ladies first..." Effie Trinket walks over to the large glass bowl containing the name of every eligible girl in District 12. She let her perfectly manicured hand dig around, until it picked out one slip of paper. My heart beat speeds up, and I'm breathing heavily. Effie Trinket smiles warmly at the district, before opening up the folded up slip of paper.

In a clear voice, she reads, "Primrose Everdeen,"