The Panther and the Kitten

If a kitten had happened to find his was into the jungle, scared and on edge, jumping at every rustle in the leaves, a panther would find him, satisfied with his proud find for dinner. But Dane is no ordinary Panther and Kyla is no ordinary kitten.

•°●°○°●°•

Kyle looked around him, lost in a maze of buildings. It was dark, and the streetlights weren't all that close, leaving large dark spots. Some of the lights where dimmer than others, some flickered, and others didn't work at all. There was a harsh nighttime breeze that made him bite at his chapped lips, and pull his knit sweater tighter around his fragile frame. Kyla's phoned had died hours before, and now he had no way to call anyone or see where he was. He would have looked at the street signs, but the long shadows of the buildings made it too dark to see.

He heard the footsteps approaching behind him, but he didn't know if it was real or if he was imagining it. Yeah, he was being paranoid. The building around him creaked and the breeze whistled through cracks in the glass. Yeah, he was just being paranoid.

"Hey, buddy, you lost?" A voice called from behind him, making Kyla tense, but he continued to walk. The footsteps continued to get nearer and nearer, louder and louder, until a hand landed on Kyla's shoulder, making him jump and spin around. His cheeks where flushed and his chapped lip was still in between his teeth. His oversized knit button up was held securely around him by his arms as he stared with wide light brown eyes.

Dane looked down at the boy before him, not expecting to find someone this cleaned up in this part of town. He looked nothing like the people you'd usually see around here. "Hey, are you lost?" He asked again, but this time with best interests at heart. The boy in front of him nodded, and he sighed, "Where are you trying to get?"

"T-town." The boy said, shivering through his knit button up that, though held securely and close to his body, would not protect him from the breeze. Dane ran a hand through his dark hair and looked around, before he shrugged his own vest off and offering it to the boy. "I couldn't." The boy whispered, holding his hands up.

"Take it, you'll get sick." Dane insisted, putting the vest on the boys shoulders. The boy smiled a bit at Dane before sliding his arms through the holes. "Now, come on, I'll get you into town."

"I'm Kyla." The boy said, after a few silent minutes.

"Dane."

"Thank you, Dane." Kyla said, and Dane wasn't sure if he were imagining it or if Kyla had started walking closer to him. Dane shivered a couple of times during there walk and Kyla had tried giving the vest back, but Dane just shook his head. He was going to need the cold to keep his mind off the way Kyla's fingers brushed his. It seemed a bit intimate, especially in this setting. The bright streetlights that sparkled off the ocean next to them as they past the closed store signs of small family owned businesses But Dane had always been a hopeless romantic, and Kyla seemed oblivious to the contact.

They tried to keep conversation, though the awkwardness of being strangers still lingered. They had learned that they we're about the same age, Dane at eighteen and Kyla at seventeen, they had learned where one another went to school, Kyla at Quincy Heights Private Academy and Dane at Quincy Regional Public Highschool, and other random things like pets and such. Dane had learned that Kyla like poetry, and had spent the majority of their silence think up lymrics in Kyla's honour.

Dane was definitely attracted to Kyla, whom he had just met. Looking over at him now, as they passed under a streetlight, all he wanted to do was run his hands through that soft light brown hair, and kiss those plump pink lips. But he didn't. He didn't even reach for Kyla's hand, which still absently brushed against his.

Kyla knew they we're getting close to town now, but he didn't want to part was with this fine human being. His eyes constantly flickered over to Dane, who's dark hair was often in his face. Kyla so badly wanted to brush it away and just look at those gorgeous dark eyes, but he contained himself and settled with the barely there brush of knuckles.

"Well, here we are." Dane sighed as they approached a busy intersection in front of a late night Starbucks.

"Um, c-could you walk me home? I'm not sure how to get there from here." Kyla's asked, coming up with any excuse to remain with his companion.

"Sure, where is it?"

"West Maple street."

"Come on." Dane ordered as he walked across the street, ignoring the cross walk, and making quite a few drivers angry.

So again they fell into step, and walked away. Chatting and window shopping, avoiding people on the side walk and snickering at women wearing inappropriate clothing. Kyla couldn't believe how upset he was when the rounded a corner and found themselves on his street.

"Um, you're jacket?" Kyla mumbled shrugging it off, but Dane stopped him yet again, a goofy grin spread across his face.

"Keep it, I want a reason to come see you again." He chuckled. Sliding a pen form his pocket, Dane wrote his phone number on Kyla's exposed wrist, which happened to still be holding the vest out. Kyla blushed, looking down, but leaving just enough room for Dane to give his cheek a peck before running off grin even wider now, from ear to ear. With that, the vest, and a happy sigh Kyla continued down the street towards home.