Prologue:

"If I could write a song to help you understand the inner-workings of myconscious mind, believe me, I would. There are so many thoughts that can be conveyed in three minutes, you would be surprised how intimately we would come to know each other simply from that shared experience. Complete strangers though we may be, we are suddenly connected, having inhabited the same space for those three minutes.

We may not know a single thing about one another: where we grew up, whatour favorite hobby was in childhood, what we are and what we hope to become...all of these fundamental aspects of our very character are irrelevant. We are because we are. What we choose to become by filling in the gaps between is of little consequence to our overall being.

You may find yourself in a crowded mall or in a coffee shop one day, scurrying about to get to here or there, and, all of a sudden, it hits you: that familiar melody coming on the old, scratched loudspeaker or from a performer that no one else seems to notice, and in an instant the horde evaporates, vanishes before your very eyes...and suddenly you're back -- back within the span of the three minutes that changed the entire course of a life. Your life. The life that you never expected to lead, with the person you never expected to meet -- and the infinite sadness you never expected to feel."