Chapter 1

"Breanna, is there anything wrong?"

I hear the director's voice in the hall. I am still sleepy and can't think of anything that isn't sleeping. I don't want to get up. He will surely force me to clean up with those bitches of Jeanny and Catha. Last time, they forced the poor Reghann to do the cleaning for them, but, after all, they are just bitchy lazy-bones. Why should they be different?

But let's go back to the director calling me repeated times. "Breanna?"

I keep not answering, knowing that I am anything but likely to wake up willingly. But, suddenly, I hear some footsteps. Oh no, he is coming, and I hate when he comes into the dorms, especially when I am half-naked. Oh my gosh, he is taking off blankets from me!

"Breanna Alletha Taylor! Get up!"

I slowly open my eyes, only to find him with his arms crossed. His glare is terrifying. I regret not having paid attention to him.

"What's up?" I end up asking.

"You have to get up," he explains, more calmly. His glare has disappeared, much to my relief. ""It's 11 am! Tell your sisters to get up, as well."

"Yes, Mr. Taylor."

For some sort of coincidence, he has our same surname. Or, maybe, it's not coincidence: after all, Taylor is quite common as a last name.

After thinking and rethinking of these absurdities, I finally get up and put on the very first clothes I find in my wardrobe: an old-fashioned sleeveless floral dress and a plain T-shirt. I can't afford many clothes, even though I am eighteen and should live up my teen age.

But let's just go back to this day. I don't want to be involved in some sort of outrageous punishment, like it usually happens. Yeah, there are loads of Jeannys and Cathas, and too few friendly people like Reghann.

I reach the terribly disgusting canteen and sit at a table. Next to me, there is Reghann: a girl my age, with long, messy blonde hair and barely noticeable blue eyes. Many people outside here believe we are sisters. Though, we are not, even though we look like each other.

Well, Reghann is the only friend I have, and probably the only one I will ever have in my life. Yeah, growing up in a fucking orphanage definitely precludes whoever from making lots of real friends (let's take into account that neither Henn nor Kaye -my little sisters - have any) and just makes you make more enemies than friends.

Yeah, that's my case. Whoever isn't Reghann hates me, because they all think and behave like catty brats Jeanny and Catha are.

But let's just not talk about it.

***

Not only is the canteen packed with hateful people and disgusting food, but there is also a general sense of bad mood. Even being with Reghann doesn't help me at all. Next to Rayne, there is a tall girl who looks like she is her age, who has short brown hair and eyes of an undefinable color. She seems very unpleasant, and I can say that because of her killer glare. If I were her, I would stop. She is definitely pissing me off.

But it seems as Rayne is about to precede me. "Hey," she says in fact, "what the fuck do you want? If you need anything, just talk instead of glaring at us."

But the effect she obtains is the opposite of what she expected, and the reply is quite harsh. "Did your mother teach you you must always introduce yourself when you are talking to anybody you don't know?"

Rayne is furious. I decide to intervene and give that bitch a lesson. "Hey! How dare you? You don't even know our mother! She..." I can't refrain myself from crying. What that girl said is borderline to offense.

"...died?" The girl uses a way better tone, which allows Rayne and me to calm down. Then, I introduce the two of us. "Well, my name is Breanna Taylor, but everybody here calls me Brea. And the girl who reacted like that is my sister, Rayne."

"Taylor! Hey! Hold on! Are you relatives to the director?" replies back the girl. Rayne shakes her head. "We don't know. And, anyway, I don't think we are related to him. And, by the way, shouldn't you introduce yourself?"

"Oh sorry, I forgot. My name is Lalainn."

"Oh, come on, you don't need to be so nasty. I am sorry for having been so inappropriate."

"No. I should apologize. After all, I have been very rude." She turns at me. "How old are you, Breanna?"

"But I told you to call me Br-" I interrupt myself, and remind myself that, after all, Lalainn isn't a monster. So, I just answer her question. "I am 18. What about you?"

"I am 16," she replies. I barely refrain myself from commenting, "Wow, you are younger than me!" and say instead, "So, you are 16. Tell me something about you."

"It's complicated. And I don't think you wanna listen to my story. It's... just... too dreadful..." she is stuttering, "...for you..."

"Nothing is too dreadful for us," assures Rayne. "Tell us." Meanwhile, Reghann, who has been silent all the time, finally intervenes, "What is she talking about?"

"Reghann." I notice she is unfocused and cheerfully scold her, "Let her finish talking."

"Oh, ok. Sorry." And, then, "You can go on talking, Lalainn." My best friend is smiling weakly at our new friend, who starts narrating.

"Well," she starts, I was born in a very poor family. I used to live in a broken home, my dad was unemployed and couldn't find any sort of job, whereas my mom had to do two or three jobs in order to bring money at home. Then, there were two sets of grandparents, all of which were old and sick, my two brothers, a single drunken uncle and another one, yet another unemployed, with his girlfriend, an ex-infant prodigy whose career was ruined forever by a pregnancy. She always complained all the time because of our life conditions and suggested me and my brothers working, because..."

Suddenly, Henn interrupts the narration and asks, "But why on Earth did she try to force you to work, even though you did not have the legal age to start working?"

My sister's question is very clever and difficult, and Lalainn hesitates a bit before answering. "Well, because..."

Continues on the next chapter