Academics Are For Nerds

Everyone dreads tests. Everyone. No matter how old or young, studious or lazy. They are the bane of every student's school life.

Some put more pressure on themselves than others, which usually shows. And some, like Claude Faustus, fill themselves with anxiety just to do well.

Claude was one of the smartest boys in his senior class. One of the smartest. No matter how hard he tried, his test scores were always just a hair below those of Sebastian Michaelis.

Sebastian was like the improved version of Claude. He was more attractive, less nerdy, had nicer hair and better eyesight. He somehow fit quite a bit of studying into his busy social life. Or maybe he didn't study and just had natural talent, Claude couldn't tell. That would be even worse.

Claude sat in his seat, anxiously waiting for the scores to be posted on the board. Maybe just this once, he could beat him.

"Maybe--"

"Way to go, Michaelis! Damn, that must be a new school record!"

Sebastian smiled proudly as a bunch of his classmates gathered around him, asking how he was such a genius.

Claude clenched his jaw as he watched them. "Academics are for nerds..." he muttered. "I'm social. I still have my boyfriend. Not a bunch of whores like Michaelis has..."

At that moment, he got a text from said boyfriend.

"Meet me in the library after school. We need to talk..." the message read.

Ah yes, could things get any better?

One loud bell later, and Claude was swiftly off to the library. He burst through the doors-- a little too nervously, earning pointed looks from quiet bookworms-- and looked around for the freshman.

The blonde boy was leaning back in a chair with his arms crossed, obviously pissed about something.

Claude walked up to him. "Alois... What did I do?"

Alois pursed his lips, not looking at him. "It's not about what you did. It's about what you didn't do."

"What...?" He asked in confusion.

Alois sighed and stood up. "I've asked you on dates at least five times these past two weeks, and you rejected me each time, claiming you 'had to study'." He mocked Claude's voice as he did air quotes. "I'm not saying you're cheating, I just want attention from you!"

"We kissed that one time..."

"And then you pulled away and started talking about Michaelis. All you do is talk about Michaelis or envy Michaelis or try to get ahead of Michaelis! It's always Michaelis, Michaelis, Michaelis! What about me? Your boyfriend?"

Claude sighed. "Exam season is stressful..."

"Fuck exams! I'm supposed to be the one to come over and cuddle you while we look over notes! To kiss away your worries! But you constantly reject me!"

"Alois..."

"What?" He frowned, crossing his arms again.

"I'm sorry." he muttered. "But you're distracting me."

"I'm distracting you? I try to spend time with you and all you do is talk about tests! Claude, I don't want to be reminded that you're going to graduate in a few months and leave me. I don't want to be stuck here for another three years! You know I can't focus on things and part of being mine is to help me with that! You're at the top of your class-- second only to Michaelis-- and you care more about beating him than loving me!"

"Alois, I do love you..."

"I don't believe it." He glared at him. "Claude, I'm done. Thanks for a shitty five months."

Claude frowned. "Alois--"

"Bye, Claude." He placed a chaste kiss to his lips. "By the way, you were a horrible kisser." He walked off.

Claude stood there limply, trying to process what had just happened. Was it really his fault? Or Alois'?

And was Michaelis really such an obsession for him?