Protection for New York and beyond

It was just an ordinary day. Eleven billion people on planet Earth going about their lives just like any other day. Little did we know that eleven billion people, would soon turn into twelve thousand.

I was the personal assistant to the President of the United States of America at the time. He'd sent me to New York to oversee the activation of Rick Dickson's latest invention, a prototype forcefield surrounding the city. This was a prototype for a larger forcefield that would surround the whole of America to defend against terrorist attacks on the country, which had increased considerably of late, that too would be a prototype for an even larger forcefield to surround the whole world to protect every country from mass weapons. Rick Dickson was one of the most famous men in the world. At the age of 23, he founded his own company 'Dickson Evolutions'. His scientific genius made the company world famous within a year, and multinational within two years. And if this latest invention of his worked, which of course with his genius it would, it would be his most famous invention yet, and of course he would be commended for contributing to the defence of his country. And I got to see the prototype activated myself. I loved my job!

Rick stepped out from behind the curtain and stepped up to the podium. The press immediately went mad, every camera pointed straight towards him, he was practically blinded with all the photo flashes. Of course, even if he wasn't famous, they had perfect reason to be photographing him. Those piercing brown eyes, that rich flowing black hair, that tall muscular body tightly sealed in that amazing black suit and tie. One word described Rick in looks, that word was dreamy! Anyway, I'm getting off topic. Rick just stood at the podium and gazed at the crowd with those piercing brown eyes with a stare that made you want to undress him with your eyes as if you didn't want to already. He did this until the crowd went silent and could do nothing but stare at him. This was reportedly his usual method of getting a crowd to quieten down for him to speak. He then began his grand speech.

"Greetings. Greetings ladies and gentlemen of New York City, and greetings also to those visiting from outside the city. Today is a new day. As all of you would be well aware, of late America has been under increasing terrorist attacks, more and more each day. They're starting small, sneaking into our beloved country and holding banks, cafes', even libraries at gunpoint for no other reason than to spread fear and panic across the country, and it has become their tradition, to always kill at least ten people whenever they hold up a place to make sure we know they they're serious about this. Their motivation is as simple as a superiority complex. It's sick, I know. We always try to save as many as we can, but we don't always succeed. It's a tragic fact, but it's the truth. Now, we could keep on living our everyday lives in ignorance, just assuming that these terrorists won't take things a step further. But I won't allow that, not when we know the truth. The American government has tried to keep us in the dark about this as long as possible to avoid panic across the country, but now that I've developed the technology to save us, I've been given permission to reveal the truth to you all. The President recently got communication from the terrorist group attacking the country. They told him that they are preparing to launch nuclear missiles directly at the country"

Once he mentioned nuclear missiles heading for the country, everyone immediately began to panic.

"Calm down everyone, it's okay, we're going to be fine. I have the solution to this problem, which is why the President gave me permission to tell you this myself. I have created a device that will create a forcefield dome around New York"

When he said this, some people began to murmur, asking each other 'Why not all of America? Why is he only protecting New York? How selfish!'

"Now I'm sure a lot of you are asking, why just New York? Why not the whole country? Well the answer for that is simple. This is just the first prototype. Before I create the device on a larger scale, I need to sure that it works. So I'm starting with a smaller version of the device around New York to be sure. Even when I create it on a larger scale to surround the whole country, that will still only be the second prototype. Because I don't know why they're only targeting this country, but I'm sure that won't last too long, especially once they realise that our country is protected. So after the second prototype is completed and I'm sure that it works, I plan to create an even larger version of the device to shoot off and surround every country of the world individually. That way no nuclear weapon or any mass weapon will ever be able to penetrate another country again. At last we will be a huge step closer to world peace"

Hearing this the whole crowd let out a deafening cheer. Rick smiled, soaking up the crowd's praise.

"And now, I give you, the Dickson forcefield!"

Rick pressed the button on the remote control in his hand, and a big forcefield appeared, surrounding the city of New York. The crowd was amazed and began screaming and cheering again. Rick smiled, proud and pleased that yet another of his ingenious inventions had worked. I joined the crowd in amazement. I couldn't wait to tell the President that the invention was a perfect success, although he had already seen it on the television, I was there in case anything went wrong and I had to shut down the forcefield or something. But I would be very pleased to inform the President that nothing of the sort was necessary, although he already knew this, I would just be happy to share the great news. There was a feeling of great joy in the air... but then, everything went wrong...