FROM THE JOURNAL OF CHLOE PIERCE

CLEAN ROOM is a new horror comic book from writer Gail Simone and artist Jon Davis-Hunt, and published by VertigoComics. In it, a young reporter named Chloe Pierce goes undercover in search of answers about her fiancé's suspicious death. Her investigation leads her to Astrid Mueller, a

charismatic neo-prophet with a hermetically sealed, biologically impervious high-tech chamber called the Clean Room, where your innermost secrets are exposed.

What follows is an excerpt from Chloe's notebook...

FROM THE JOURNAL OF CHLOE PIERCE

It's no secret that I have no love for this woman, this mysterious and powerful Astrid Mueller. I admit my bias. I find I am unable to maintain a respectful reporter's lack of distance in this matter.

I was to be married, you see. To a photographer whose name you might know. He was successful, charismatic, and happy.

Until he discovered the writings of self-help guru Astrid Mueller. Six months later, I found him on our kitchen floor, a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head. And Astrid's second book lying open on the counter.

Her first book is all but unavailable now. A cheap, odd, gruesome gothic horror novel with an unusual conceit...it contains no punctuation in its 300 page length. The legend that grew up around it is that upon completing the novel, one becomes either enlightened forever...

...or insane.

I present a mere sample of it for you to decide the truth.