"I Know"

Hi there! So as you may or may not have seen, I posted a message on my dash the other day about not having anything up recently and the fact I'd been working on a project for a long time. So here it is, my Harry Potter one shot that could possibly turn into a story if you guys like it enough. Please don't hate on it, if you find a mistake just say 'Bah Humbug' in the comments and point out where it is because I've spent a lot of time on this and if there is a lot of hate I will take it down, which I'd HATE to do. Haha I'm so very punny. I'm sorry these are tearable. Okay, okay, I'm done now, siriusly. Anyway. Read on!

Crumbling support beams rose from damp, singed soil - protruding into the night, it's dark silhouette struck fear into any passer-by. They were the only remains of the second bedroom of the Potter/Evans household, even the magic-resistant train wallpaper had shrivelled away into the atmosphere. Everything in the room had disintegrated, leaving piles of ash that would make anyone choke. The once royal blue carpet had been littered with so much embers and dust that you wouldn't be able to tell what colour it was if it was luminous yellow and glittered.

The fragile structure crumbled still, widening the hole in both the house, and Eve Lophtan's heart. Three human beings once lived in this house and now, well, she could only hope they were never forgotten. She scoffed at herself, the great Lily and James, forgotten? No. They would never, ever, be forgotten.

So Eve, standing there, shivering, on a cold Hallowe'en night, let her hand slowly slip from her heartbroken fiancée's. Her dark skin fell from his pale as their hands disconnected and, with a final thud, Eve's hand struck her numb thigh before curling up into a fist as she resorted to movement to keep her frozen hands from getting frost bitten. Although she knew her future husband was shocked, she still let it curl in her stomach. The rare feeling of abandonment unfurling and spreading to poison with everything it touched. And then she felt angry. She was so angry at herself, three of the best people had just been murdered - not even an hour from now - and she was feeling abandonment because her fiancée wouldn't hold her hand. The abandonment was drowning in the ocean of disgust and self-hate she had flooded herself with. How could she?

Sirius Black, Eve's truly loving fiancée, refused to turn and look at the monster stood next to him. He couldn't believe that he had trusted the wild-haired, dark-skinned devil next to him. He'd believed in her, told her that she wasn't like her family but he guessed that it didn't matter to her as much as he thought it did, that she was mothers over lovers and not the other way round as he was always convinced she was. But even after all this, he still loved her, unconditionally, so he still stayed by her side. Although he never looked into her eyes. He was afraid to see if she was still the person that proposed to him after dancing in the rain, who restrained him from running away and spoiling the surprise party in the woods by pushing him into a boat and sitting on him. But could the same person who did that give up Lily and James? Unless, it was all an act and she never loved him. Sirius turned to Eve, never looking her in the eye, and asked her what the hell was going on.

After too many minutes of silence he looked up, straight into her eyes, and saw the pain in her eyes reflect into his own. She took him in, her soon-to-be husband leaning against the soaking fence and analysing her with uncertainty. 'Obviously, he must of still thought it was me' she mused. Only because he was never told that she changed, let Peter be the secret keeper because her emotions where too unstable to be trusted - a mistake on her part. Eve stumbled back from him. The pain was agonising and angry tears pushed themselves up, lodging her throat closed.

"You don't trust me?" Her skin was burning and the droplets of rain did little to disturb the swirling fire inside of her. Of course he didn't trust her, this was the very thing she didn't need at the moment; disloyalty. His feelings always got in the way, always making rash decisions that she wouldn't chose even when she was unstable. "How are we supposed to get married if you don't trust me?"