Remote Access

Mike: Thank you for calling Creative Computers. My name is Mike. How may I assist you?

Anna: Em, hi Mike. I am Anna. My Microsoft Word program keeps crashing. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the program, rebooting my laptop, updating the software. Nothing seems to work.

Mike: Alright, Anna. It looks like I will need to remotely connect to your laptop for me to find out what's wrong with the Word program. Can you do that for me?

Anna: You mean you want to access my laptop from your side?

Mike: Yes.

Anna: Errr. No other way to do this?

Mike: Sorry. Nope.

Anna: Okay. What do I do now?

Mike: Please Google Creative Connect.com. Click on the link and key in your laptop service code.

Mouse clicks. Keyboard taps.

Anna: Done.

Mike: Thank you. I'm going in now.

A small window pops up on Anna's laptop screen. Creative Connect Agent chat box appears with Mike's ID.

CREATIVE CONNECT AGENT

Mike Seong Creative Connect Agent is now connected to your laptop

Mike Seong Creative Connect Agent is now viewing your laptop

A series of windows appears on Anna's screen; program files, folders, blue screen, Internet. The mouse pointer takes on a life on its own, clicking on icons, changing from window to window at amazing speed. Words spell out without her touching the keyboard.

Anna: This is creepy.

Mike: I beg your pardon.

Anna: Nothing.

She holds the phone to her ear as she watches Mike run programs and diagnostic solutions on her laptop. Mike sniffles occasionally. He does not speak. She shifts in her seat continuously and gnaws on her nails through the 20 minute of solid silence.

Mike: Hmm, I've run the basic diagnostic test. All the software updates are done. There doesn't seem to be any glitch in the system. I would need to look into your OS and possibly hardware.

Anna: How long is this going to take?

Mike: Not sure. Probably an hour.

Anna: Do I need to stay on the phone?

Mike: It's not necessary. You can hang up.

Anna: Okay. You will call me when it's fixed, right?

Mike: Yes, of course.

Anna: Okay. Thanks.

She hangs up the phone and watches Mike, the technician without a face, having a flu, working on her laptop from a small cubicle in a call centre and probably cursing her silently because she chose to call during lunch time. She thinks of the thick spectacles Mike wears from staring too much at computer screens through the months and years on his job. She wonders if he has a life outside of the call centre.

She hopes Mike would call her back soon and tell her that he has fixed the Word program. What would she say to him besides a polite 'Thank you'?

Her stomach grumbles after watching for another five minutes. She thinks of what to eat and leaves her laptop in Mike's good hands. Lazy to prepare an elaborate meal, she makes an egg sandwich and tops the meal off with three large scoops of vanilla ice cream. She has wasted the whole morning trying to fix the Word program. It doesn't help that the deadline for the first draft of her manuscript to her publisher has passed a week ago. The taste of sweet saccharine soothes her frayed nerves. When she finishes the last mouthful of her ice cream, she feels ready to face whatever life is going to throw at her.

Just as she places the washed bowl on the dish rack, her phone vibrates in her trouser pocket. She doesn't recognise the local number on the screen but answers it anyway.

Anna: Hello.

Mike: Hey Anna, it's Mike from Creative Computers.

Anna: Oh, hi. Didn't expect you to call back so soon. Did you manage to fix it?

Mike: Yes, your Word program is working now.

Anna: Oh great! Thank you so much.

Mike: No problem. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Anna: Nope. Thank you so much again. You don't know how much this means to me.

Mike: Don't mention it. Just doing my job. You have a nice day.

Anna: You too.

She can't help smiling as she heads back to her laptop. The Creative Connect Agent chat window is gone. All the other windows are closed too. Her screen looks exactly as it does when she has just logged in. She sits down and gets back to work. Just six more chapters to edit and the manuscript would be ready. The day is turning out to be a good one after all.

12 midnight.

The manuscript has been emailed to her publisher. She stretches her aching back and rises from her chair. A window pops up on her screen and catches her attention.

CREATIVE CONNECT AGENT

Mike Seong Creative Connect Agent is now connected to your laptop

Mike Seong Creative Connect Agent is now viewing your laptop

Mike Seong Creative Connect Agent: Hi, Anna.

Customer: _

She freezes at the message.

The blinking message prompt on the screen beckons her to sit back down. She types.

CREATIVE CONNECT AGENT

Customer: Hi, Mike.

Mike Seong Creative Connect Agent: Just checking if everything is ok.

Customer: Yes, everything is working.

Mike Seong Creative Connect Agent: Great. You are still working.

Customer: Just finished. Going to bed soon.

Mike Seong Creative Connect Agent: Good. I'm going to bed too.

She cocks her head at the last message. The hair on her arms stands on ends. She shuts down her laptops and turns to leave the table.

(Gasp)

A hand wraps a handkerchief around her mouth, another grabs her at the waist. She kicks out and screams. The sharp sting of chemical in her nose brings tears to her eyes. Her vision blurs. Strength oozes out from her limbs. Twenty seconds later, she hangs from the pair of arms like a rag doll. All is silent in the house again. The intruder switches off the table lamp and drags Anna to bed.

xxx

Did you enjoy this story? If you did, please vote or leave a comment. You can also follow me for updates on more stories in future. For more information on my published work and my journey as a writer, visit and like my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/AgnesOngAuthor.