1.

I vowed never to step into Ayeon, not when it's so dangerous for me there, but a letter from my dead parents has brought me right into my enemy's home.

Around me are warriors sharpening their swords, loading themselves with armour and preparing to fight. I roll my eyes and tighten the laces of my leather boots whilst debating whether to go with or without my favourite mask. It would be really dramatic to win the fight and then tear off my mask at the end, revealing that their champion is in fact a girl. Then again, why not let them know that from the beginning? It could be all the more amusing to see the look on their faces when they lose.

Taking one more glance at the fools around me I decide mask off. These men are nothing but brutes clad in iron with a ridiculous amount of facial hair, let them know they're losing to a girl in simple leather armour.

Names are drawn as I'm pulling my brown hair into a braid and I curse under my breath when it's revealed I'm last. How irritating that I'll have to wait around while these men muck about wasting everyone's time. They might as well let me go first and crown me champion straight away to save some time.

Fortunately someone was kind enough to lay out a table of food and I spent my time sat on the floor making my way through a loaf of bread with various types of cheese. I've never seen so many different cheeses, I could get used to spending time in a castle!

"Hello there, sweetheart," speaks a deep voice from beside me as I stuff my mouth full of bread. I look up at him and realise he's different to the others in the room. This man wears a long hooded cloak, concealing most of his face. It's unbuttoned and beneath I can tell he wears light armour of the Croroic. He isn't from Ayeon, but I get the impression he doesn't spend much time in Croroa either. This man is a traveller. "Helgrim Vassos," he introduces himself when I don't grace him with a reply. He holds out his hand for me to shake.

"Freyja," I reply, ignoring his outstretched hand and breaking off another lump of bread. He awkwardly shoves his hands back into his pockets of his coat.

"You're the only girl in the competition."

"Oh really, I hadn't noticed. Thank you for pointing that out." Of course my voice is heavy with sarcasm but he doesn't falter. I can see the smirk in the shadows of his hood. "Why don't you go bother someone else?" I turn my attention away from him and back to my food.

"Sorry for bothering you, Freyja. I'm just investigating the competition." And with that he left. I watch the mysterious Helgrim for a while after that. He spends some time wandering the room, speaking to other competitors and studying the room. It doesn't take me long to realise his focus is heavily on the windows and doors. Why would a competitor be so engrossed by all of the available entrances and exits?

Eventually I decide that I must be so bored of waiting that I'm being drawn to outlandish conclusions. Helgrim Vassos is probably perfectly harmless and I should just forget him. It's not like he'll win this competition anyway. He's just another stranger to wander in and out of my life, he'll be forgotten in a few minutes' time.

I almost consider leaving when they finally call my name. I march to the centre of the hall, facing the dais where the Jarl sits lounging on his throne looking bored. In his fingers is an almost empty goblet of wine which has been refilled time and time again throughout the day. I lost count of the number of bottles he's got through. He won't be able to see me clearly enough to watch my fighting skills and I begin to doubt how easy this mission will be.

Beside him is his son who is frowning as though he doesn't want to be here. His arms are crossed and he looks like he might even be sulking.

"Your grace, I'm Frejya Thorhal of Ayeon," I introduce myself, as I kneel on the ground out of respect. The prince raises an eyebrow and sits up in his seat. Somehow I've caught his interest and I pray to Eleonora it's not just because I'm a girl. The Jarl nods and that's my cue to stand back up.