Inner War: Brittany's POV

Just one bite.

No. No, I can't.

But you know you really want one.

I do. These are my favorite. I just love when Eleanor makes her double fudge chocolate chip brownies.

Why aren't you eating it?

That's not your concern.

Is it because it's fattening?

Maybe.

Is it because you don't like it when boys watch you eat?

Maybe.

You've had enough food today.

I know.

What makes you think you can have more?

Weren't you just trying to talk me into eating one?

No. I was just thinking. Thinking the same thoughts over and over again. It was just another baking Friday at the Chipettes' residence, and Eleanor whipped up one of my absolute favorites this week. She claims that she made the brownies just because she felt like it. But I know she wanted to make them because I was sure I flunked my math test yesterday, and I've been needing some cheering up.

I couldn't have been more grateful. Just an hour ago, I sat in the kitchen, flipping through some magazines, just so I could savor the sweet smell of her brownies baking.

Now here they were, the final products, sitting right in front of me. And I had no intention of touching them. And yes, Eleanor invited the boys over to try them. They wouldn't miss a baking Friday for anything. Especially not Theodore.

I watched everyone, seated around our table, scoffing down their brownies. Jeanette carefully cut hers with a butter knife, as if she were eating a piece of cake. I couldn't help but smile, she's such a dork, I love it.

Theodore was already on brownie number three, and wouldn't stop raving about how "amazingly scrumptious" they were. Eleanor always loved Theodore's honest feedback. She found it helpful, and satisfying.

Alvin and Simon enjoyed the brownies too, from what I could tell. There was a very noticeable brownie crumb stuck to the fur on Alvin's left cheek, but who was I to tell him it was there? He'd figure it out, sooner or later.

I looked back down at my plate, at the brownie I so desperately wanted to devour. Right here. Right now. But I knew I couldn't. I couldn't afford it, couldn't risk it. I've spent weeks trying to be more healthy, I couldn't just throw that away.

You need to be a certain way. Feel a certain way. Look a certain way. That's show biz, Britt.

One brownie really couldn't hurt-

Oh yes, it could. It really could. Who cares if they're your favorite. Would you rather be overweight?

I'm not, I'm not overweight.

Keep telling yourself that.

Please, just one bite.

No.

"Brittany?" Theodore's pure voice called, pulling me out of my own head.