Prologue

He stared out to sea with one hand on the brass telescope at his eye and while the other had been replaced by a silver hook which hung down beside his dark trousers and the knee-high boots they were tucked into. He wore a long, leather trench coat while his upper half was clothed in a black leather gillet.

His attention seemed to be on a small settlement on an island not far from the beach of which he stood, waiting. Very soon, a middle-aged woman approached him from behind, a sense of manipulation and darkness hanging heavily from her. The pirate closed his telescope with his hook as he heard her footsteps.

"Hello, Hook," she said and he turned to face her, his grey eyes contrasting the thick, black eyeliner he wore.

"Hello, Cora," he returned. "You told me you had something important you needed to show me." Smiling, Cora held up a vial of ashes surrounded in a deep purple mist. "Sparkly dirt. Wonderful."

"Just the remains of a magical wardrobe that can travel between worlds," Cora explained to Hook's raised eyebrow.

"Is there enough to get us to where we need to go?" he asked her, his heartrate raising slightly at the thought of finding her.

"Not quite," the woman said. "But it's a start."

"We're almost ready to set sail," Hook said, trying to hide his excitement. "What's our port of destination?"

"Storybrooke."

"Hm, curious name. Is that where..."

"She is," Cora finished, and Hook felt a wave of relief pass over him. "And so is he."

"Excellent," Hook said, looking out to the sea. "We'll be able to see our daughters, and I can skin myself a crocodile."