One || Maxine

There was a brown rabbit next to her that seemed to be trying to race with her.

Her leg was broken, and dragging it around with her was a separate hell in itself. She needed to find something, anything, to make crutches, and she needed to do it quickly. The Halimun was behind her, and it was getting faster and faster the slower she got.

Maxine was hopping, doing her best to not move her right leg, though that didn't really help with the pain. She tripped, her body crashing to the ground and she cried out, wincing, tears falling. She let out a deep breath as she pushed her torso off the ground and turned her head, looking back at where she came.

The Halimun was even closer. It was game over, she knew it. She looked around quickly and gasped when she found a lucky block in the distance. She dragged her self, grunting in pain, but doing her best to ignore her leg. The block kept getting closer and closer, well, she was getting closer and closer. When she reached it, she grabbed it with both hands. It opened, and a light shined upwards. In the centre of the light was a blue monarch butterfly. Under the butterfly was the logo for the game Life is Strange. Maxine smiled. This was her favourite gift. She did show favouritism towards it though. He parents had named her after the main character of it, Max Caulfield.

She grabbed the picture with her right hand and the lucky block disappeared. With another yelp, she flipped herself onto her back and sat up. The Halimun was just twenty feet away. She held up her right hand and everything went in reverse. The Halimun went further into the distance and the rabbit hopped backwards. Maxine smiled as she dropped her hand and everything went back to normal. Then, her smile dropped. All she did was buy herself time. She still needed to save herself.

Once again, she looked around, and much to her dismay she found nothing. She was doomed. She looked down at the watch on her right wrist and checked the time. She has survived three days, two hours, and forty-one minutes. Forty-two. Forty-three.

She looked up and the fog was just a few feet away. She crossed her arms over her chest and sighed.

"Dammit," she muttered under her breath.

Game Over

You survived three days, two hours, and forty-four minutes.

The words took up all the space in her vision.

"Log off," she said, loud and clear.

Her vision changed from the path through a forest to her bedroom. She took off her headpiece and sensors and leaned back in her chair. She was back to reality. She glanced over at her alarm clock just as it beeped. Just in time for school.

She hopped out of her desk chair and hurried to her closet, picking out an outfit that matched the character who she was named after; a pink tank top that said "Jane" and had a picture of a doe next to it, a light grey jacket, and jeans. After putting it on, she looked into her mirror and smiled. She looked so similar to Max Caulfield. She wondered how her parents knew she would. They had to, right? If not, the resemblance was a creepy coincidence.

She went downstairs into the kitchen where her mother was making French toast. "Morning, sweetheart," she said.

"Morning, Mum." Maxine hopped on a dining room chair and watched as her mother brought a plate of French toast.

"Careful," her mother said, taking off her lilac coloured apron, "it's hot."

"Well you did just make it."