See You in Jannah

• Dedicated to every true friend

A/N: Just wanted to let you guys know because I've been getting a lot of messages-- the story between the two characters is entirely fictional! Just wanted to clear that up, God willing. =)

~LS

Remember we would always run around in the mosques during Ramadan when the people were breaking their fasts? You shoved a samosa down my shirt! But that's okay because I got you back during Eid when I embarrassed you in front of Muhammad. Remember Muhammad? I saw you talking to him and his parents when I ran over and started singing a random song about love, just to get under your skin. Both of your faces turned so red, and I laughed so hard...But you got really mad at me.

I thought you'd never forgive me. But then...you came to my house and you laughed. You looked like an idiot to be frank with you; cackling on my doorstep in my neighborhood of all the places. You smiled and told me: "Sisters before misters!" and I never forgot. That day, I stopped being your best friend when you became my sister. You told me that you'd always have my back. You have.

Remember those bullies at our old middle school? Yeah, the trio that always made fun of us; the only two Muslims in the school for wearing hijabs? I fell under pressure and took mine off. But you totally went against the odds and put on a niqab. You got all up in this one guy's face and said, "How ya like me now? Watch out buddy, under this veil, there's a ninja!"

Remember our first year in high school? I didn't wanna be around you because people said you were a weirdo. A freak. A stranger. That you were an outcast. When they said that, you were so happy. I didn't know why, but it's because then you told me that Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said " Islam began as something strange and will revert to being strange as it began. So give glad tidings to the strangers."

I was such a jerk to you a lot in those days. I've got the office reports to prove it. But you still cared about me and everyone else. Even when people bothered you because you weren't as rich as everyone else.

Remember when the college you wanted to go to denied you? Instead, you didn't get all angry and begin shouting. You were pretty sad, but then happy again, because you said, " Allah is Ar-Razzaq. I'll work harder, and He will get me something better, in sha Allah."

That's what happened! You wrote an essay that got you a scholarship to an even better school. You were so happy.

Also, remember when your aunt was dying? She told your parents that she needed a few thousand dollars more to go to Hajj. That's when you started working overtime for weeks. You weren't at school for days! You came back to school though. There were bags under your eyes along with shadows; you were really tired.

People said you looked even uglier than usual. But you never once thought about them. I asked you if you were okay. You told me you could run the distance of fifty football fields cause you were so happy. You paid for the last of your aunt's trip.

Then it was your turn. Your family made enough money to go to Hajj. Ironically this is that part I don't like to remember. " In shaa' Allah, I'll see you! " you said.

Your mother came.

Then your father came.

Then your brother came.

But you never came. Why?

Because you died in Hajj. You were nineteen when it happened. I was in detention when I got the call.

I couldn't go outside for weeks. You were gone...I didn't have a friend to lean on. But before you died, you told me otherwise. "People come and people go. There's always that so called 'friend' that bothers you for money but doesn't have it when you need it. There's disappointments in a lot of places. But Allah never disappoints. He's waiting for us to go back to Him, to just call out to Him because He's been waiting! Allah won't give up on us. So why give up on ourselves?"

It's true, what you said. You were right. I'll remember the love you showed all of us, and the mercy. People don't think you were ever normal when you were alive. But that made you really grateful. It made you feel blessed. Your mother made a samosa to help me cope with your death. I guess she knew about our little incident as crazy little children. But, I guess no matter what happens, God willing...

I'll never forget to ask Allah for me

To see you in Jannah.