Humanity

Within every human being there exists a sort of darkness that dwells inside their essences. Although sometimes people allow that colorless entity to grow and thrive, eventually being devoured themselves. This creates a somewhat hollow shell or the ever so quoted "Empty Inside" feeling or urge.

Humanity is a very fragile creature, something to be handled gently and loved diligently. Yet, very rarely is that so. Picking and choosing which will thrive and which will be suffocated by the cruelty of reality. In actuality very few live wholly, most plaster a false smile across their tired, defeated faces; similar to that of a child adorning a costume on Halloween.

Simply an act to get by. To survive. To go unnoticed.

A terribly rueful outcome in which children, young adults, and elderly coexist with. It is as if the world has stopped fighting the uphill battle and merely submitted to the heavy lead foot of society. It isn't skinny models or well known actors/actresses we should be swooning over, but instead the righteous, the brave, the lost, the frightened. All of which have been dismissed in the the uproar of changing situations and trends. As if being oneselves was a taboo decision, not following trends will land a poor soul in a gamble of "will I be seen again or will I fade into the background?"

Imagine how many people disappear into the scenery of this so called "real world", that are never even noticed or missed. No, they are noticed but only as cowards, creeps, strangers, weirdos, and misfits. Unable to escape the labeling of the world even in death. Why is that we as a society tend to care more once a beautiful flame is no longer ablaze? It is actually a very simple answer, some are greedy and take without thought of the plentiful substance ever demising. Thus once it's gone, they are capable of seeing just how valuable it, they were truly worth.

Only I wish I could have comprehended the truth of all of what I know now...they would've still been alive. I may preach to my peers about the reality of this world we live within, but it holds no meaning until they stand where I do. Be it miles away holding a phone in one hand, and clenching my shirt with the other as I am told someone dear to me is no longer walking amongst the breathing. Or even at the foot of the casket, on my knees loathing myself for being so self-concerned. Even when I stood before my own grave wonder why, why I had chosen to follow them.

I suppose in all actuality I never preached, nor shared my opinion. Just watched and went with the motions that were the waves of life. Forgetting to see beyond myself, neglecting the others that would stand in my footsteps because I chose to stand in someone else's shoes. I used to wish for the world, but now I can only wish for air. Light. A second chance.

I am not as strong as people saw me to be, but in my moments of agonizing realization I know now that when the darkness is all that can be seen, light will never shine without thought. Be the light that frees one's soul from torment. Humanity is capable of such a thing.