Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Renee's POV

Color.

Our lives kind of revolve around color, don't they?

You don't really think about it. You see them, but you never give them much thought.

Color is a kind of requirement for photography. You have to see the colors to know if it is worth taking. Of course, that never occurred to me. At least, not for a while. Soon, this reality would slap me right in the face, rubbing it in.

I brushed the sand away from under my bum (like that did anything. I was sitting on a beach!) and sat down. People of all ages were surfing in the ocean. I fell onto my stomach and steadied my camera. I focused on a particular surfer, and waited until just the right moment.

Snap!

I took the photo and viewed it. I smiled slightly. It was perfect alright. I had took it at just the right moment, with the man facing the sunset and the orange glow lighting his face. The water droplets didn't blur the picture at all, which I thought was kind of surprising.

I took a few more photos. I loved the color of the ocean. It was a greenish-blue, and very lovely. Other than photographing, I rather enjoy swimming. I would swim, but these pictures were for my college project. I hoped to get an A-plus. No doubt. These photos were awesome.

I hopped into my car and drove back to my dorm. My roommate, Lacy (who was also a photographer), was gone. Probably goggling at the "sexy" college boys again. I didn't have time for boys. Photography was my life. And it was about my life and everything around it. Nobody else.

I deleted the useless pictures, the ones that I took when I was bored. There goes the flowers, the seashells, the clouds dotting the sky. All boring.

Once I had more storage space, I went onto my laptop and downloaded the photos from my camera into my files. I created a quick beach collage and turned on my color printer. Done and done.

I sat on my bed and flipped open my favorite magazine, Photo Today. It was always giving tips on taking better pictures and what people were looking for these days. I think summer time is "in" at the moment.

"Hello!" a voice sang as someone entered the dorm. I turned. "Hi, Lacy," I greeted her.

"Hello, Rainy," she replied. When we first met, I was so shy I had mumbled my name out. She thought I had said "Rainy" instead of "Renee", my real name. She also called me Rainy because of my "downy" attitude. I had no idea what she meant by that.

"What photos did you take today?" she asked, sitting down next to me.

I had forgotten to print my collage. I pressed the print button and showed her the digital version. "Cool," she said, nodding.

Sometimes I thought she didn't appreciate photography like I did. You have to capture your whole life on camera, or else it'll all just fly by. You won't remember how much fun you had unless you take a picture. That's why I think cameras were invented.

"Did you get your collage done?" I asked Lacy. "It's due tomorrow."

"Oh shit," she cursed. "It is?!" She checked her pocket calendar and cursed again, throwing it down to the ground. I bit back my smile at the amusing scene.

"Maybe if you hadn't been checking out those boys so much--" I started to scold her but she cut me off. She snapped her fingers. "That's it!" she gasped. "Renee, you're a genius!" She picked up her camera and pulled her shoes back on. "Where are you going?" I asked her.

"To make a hot guy collage!" she called over her shoulder and slammed the door shut behind her.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. That girl. Her life was all about boys and being sexy. Such a waste.

My collage finished printing and I held it up, smiling. The colors were fantastic, and they weren't even photoshopped. I despised photoshop. I hung it up using minuscule tacks and stuck it on my billboard. That way I wouldn't forget it tomorrow.

Since it was getting later, I quickly stripped down and pulled on my pajamas. I curled up in my bed and pulled out a book I'd almost finished. I wanted to finish it before the college school year was over. I was thinking of taking a photography course over the summer. Probably dumb, but I wanted to get as much knowledge on it as possible. I guess you could say I was addicted.

I was just getting absorbed into the book when Lacy returned. I looked up at the slam of the door. "How'd it go?" I asked as she plopped down in the computer chair and logged on. "Epic," she replied breathlessly, like she had run all the way back. "I even got a few guys' phone numbers."

I rolled my eyes and bookmarked my page. "I'm going to bed now," I told her, snuggling under the covers. "Leave the light on, okay?"

I have a fear of the dark. I know, pathetic, but I'd never gotten over the possibility of the monster under your bed, or the shadowy man outside your window. It'd always frightened me. I had to keep a light or at least a nightlight on in order to feel safe.

Lacy sighed. "You've been telling me that since day one," she said. "You would think that I've figured it out by now over the last few hundred nights."

I smiled again faintly. "Just making sure," I said quietly and closed my eyes. "Night, Lacy."

"Night, Renee," she replied, and I could hear her clicking the mouse as she moved pictures around and perhaps changed their color. The comforting noises lulled me to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

So that's my first chapter of "Snapshot". Thank you all who clicked on this story and started reading. It means a lot, it really does.

I'm guessing some of you may be disappointed by the lack of action, but it's coming soon, I promise you. In fact, it all starts in the second chapter.

Now that I've got this going, I would really appreciate it if you clicked on my picture or searched my username on the Discover. Please read my other stories, and maybe even vote for them. You get a great big hug and a cookie if you fan me too!

"I think this calls for a cookie."

Stay Beautiful,
-Sammi <3