Flower at the Edge of a Lake

The footsteps recede.

              And then, I am alone. At last.

          I open an eye, and then the other. I am lying stiff on the tiled floor. I push myself up into a sitting position. Look around. They have made this place a total mess: taps overflowing; tiles wet and dirty; mirror cracked. They all left hastily, I remember, when they heard the familiar creaking of Master’s footsteps. Despite myself and the situation, I laugh. Saved by Master himself... the irony was so thick!

              I try to get up, but a wave of dizziness floods me. I slump back onto the floor.

And then the memories of my near-past roll in. Like flash cards; in my vision the first second, and gone the next.

                             Voices.

              Loud, shouting, but at the same time, muted and far-away.

                            Taunting. Haunting.

             “Who’s the girl?”

                           The shoving began.

             “Who’s the lucky girl?”

                                      I am pushed against the mirror. It cracks- well, something does.

             “Oh, wait... I forgot... There’s no girl- ’coz it’s a GUY!”

And then the footsteps. Unmistakable creaking footsteps.

              And then.... silence.

                            Alone. All alone.

           I put my hand to my head. It comes away red. But I don’t care. I get onto my feet. Dizziness. The world blacks out. I am blinded. Then I see again.

             I grip onto the side of the sink hard. The marble is cold under my hand, but I hold on tight.

                            They had got it wrong, all wrong!

                                         I grip onto the sink, and look at the cracked mirror.

                           They just don’t understand. It isn’t gayness....

                                                   I look at my reflection...

        But, how can I blame them? Even I don’t properly understand myself...

                        A wave of dizziness. The world goes out of focus. Then it clears again.

                                                  I look into the image of my eyes.

                    They got it wrong, because there is no ‘other’ guy. There’s just...

                                                                   ...you.