Rudy and Alfred

You wouldn't believe me if I told you the ending of this book. Personally, I don't want to believe it either. But instead of telling you how it ends, I feel as though I must explain how it happened. Here is the story, the day it all began.

"Goodmorning, papa," a young boy, no older than twelve, yawned as he came down the stairs. "Goodmorning, Alfred," a tall man with eyes that appeared as though they held a forest within responded. "I have to go, enjoy your day at school," the man smiled as he kissed the forehead of the pale boy. "I love you, papa." But instead of hearing the simple 'I love you too, my son' as he was so used to, the man simply nodded and walked towards the door, making sure to avoid eye contact. "I- um... I love you, too."

"Papa, is everything al-" Alfred was cut-off by the slam of the door, taking him by surprise.

I wish I could say everything was alright, but I'd be lying if I did. Soon, the child staring at the wooden door would realize his father had no intentions of returning home that night. But he would never learn why.

Once Alfred was prepared for school, he began walking towards his neighbour: Rudy Steiner. Rudy was nearly twelve and wore a smile on his pale face, even in the saddest of times. His arms were only a thin layer of skin atop his small bones, and his legs were no different. The Steiners had six children total, which was a problem from the lack of income they were facing. "You can have my food," Rudy would tell his siblings with a kind smile. The boy ate maybe once every day, but would go for several days without anything if it meant keeping his brothers and sisters fed.

"I'm coming!" He would yell to his friend when the knock on the door arrived.

"Did you eat this morning?" Alfred would always ask.

"Nein, but I promise I'm fine," Rudy would say through the pain and emptiness of his stomach.

"Rudy, you're not fine."

"So, did you hear abou-" He tried changing the topic.

"Rudy I'm serious," Alfred yanked him around the corner of an apartment block.

"What are you doing?" Rudy asked, escaping from his grip.

Alfred pulled Rudy's sleeves up, exposing the bony arms Rudy had tried to hide. The expression on Alfred's face proved he had never seen his friend's arms so thin, and he was worried. "Alfred, I promise I'm fine," Rudy exclaimed, pulling his sleeves back down. But Alfred, as well as Rudy, knew that he was not fine, and that I would soon pay a visit in an attempt to free Rudy from the starvation he has been holding for so many years.

I do not want to come for Rudy, not yet at least. But what hurts me, is watching him hurt. I have never felt emotional thinking of a human before. Not in this way at least. This boy is so caring and has so much life in him to give, but all life ever seems to do to him is take.

The two boys walked side by side through the small town of Molching, heading towards their school. "Hallo, school," Rudy would cheerfully say.

"Guten morgen, dummkopf," Franz Duetchester spat.

"Verpiss dich," Rudy exclaimed.

"What was that?" Franz shoved Rudy to the side.

"Leave him alone." Alfred was now stepping forwards to Franz, fearful for what he was getting himself into.

"And what if I don't?"

"Fick dich," Alfred swore as he threw his fist, hitting Franz directly in the cheek.

A small stream of blood flew down his nose as Franz stood up, throwing Alfred to the ground. Franz began kicking him in the ribs as he pinned him down and began thrashing at his face. "Say that again, I dare you."

"Du verdammter Arschficker."

Rudy now stood up again and tried pulling Franz off. "You'll kill him!"

"No I won't, but I'll be damn close," Franz grinned, punching Alfred once more.

A group of children now gathered around the fight and began chanting for Franz to punch him again. Not many people liked Alfred at the school, mainly due to the fact they all believed he was in love with Rudy.

"Let's bring him to the river!" Franz shouted. "You two hold Rudy back. I'll carry Alfred and throw him in once we get there."

"Franz! What the hell are you thinking!?" Rudy screamed while two students grabbed him by the arms and legs.

Both Alfred and Rudy thrashed as they were carried several blocks to the ice cold water. "Alright, throw him in," Franz commanded the two students.

"He can't swim!" Rudy yelled as Alfred was thrown into the water.

"Then go save him," Franz whispered to Rudy as he pushed him into the water.

The coldness of the water stung Rudy's warm cheeks. He gasped for air as he tried calling for Alfred. "Alfred! Alfred, where are you?" Rudy swam deeper into the water in search of his friend.

"Jesus, Mary, and Joseph," Rudy exclaimed as he saw the body of his friend float limply. He swam and grabbed hold of Alfred's shirt and desperately tried to swim out of the river.

"Alfred, can you hear me?" Rudy cried as he placed his ear to Alfred's chest to hear for a heartbeat.

"Kiss him, Rudy! Do mouth to mouth if you want to save him so badly!" Franz and the other two boys laughed.
"Kiss him, saukerl!"