One

Chapter 1

"Anastacia, wait!"

No. Have to keep going. Have to get away.

My feet assaults the forest greenery with every step I take, the burning from my soles momentarily distracts me from my main intent. I look back, over my shoulder. I can't see him properly.

"Ana, your father!"

I will my legs to run faster, ignoring the sprouts of pain from my lower legs.

I have to keep going, I can't stay at this any longer. My father--
that bastard! I can't believe father. Going through with this without my consent.

I look back again. Travis right behind me, catching up or at least trying to. I almost double over and laugh.
This guy is no match for me and he knows it. I'm sure that's a slight knock to his oversized ego-a girl faxing him.

I take deep breaths, my chest tight and constricted. I hunch over, hands on my knees, heaving. I... I can't...
I try to regulate my fast breathing, I can't run any more. I can't run away from something like this. And someone should have warned me trying to run away in a grey skimpy dress isn't exactly ideal.

Travis pauses right in front of me, invading my personal space. Probably trying to block further endeavours of running away again. If he only knew there's at least five ways I could escape his "shield" . I have every nook and cranny of this place engraved to my memory. I can outrun him with my eyes clo-

"Miss Ana. We have to get back. Your father is demanding your presence. "

I shake my head. No. I can't--won't.

"Miss Ana. Your father has granted me permission to forcefully take you, if need be."

Forcefully take me?

These mongrels!

I huff.

I can feel prickling behind my eyes, the first stages of crying. Travis takes a small, subtle step forward. The effect not going unnoticed on me.

"Fine. Just don't touch me."

My father can be such an ass. I stand up from kneed position. We puzzle through the maze of the forest. I always considered this forest my home. My first shift was here surrounded by these trees, my brother's right beside me. For support, I guess.

Five years ago, we went camping on the outskirts of the territory. I remember feeling especially cranky that day. The pain started from my lower back, spreading out to my legs. I heard the distinct sound of a crack on my left arm. The pain intensifying throughout my entire body. I thought that this was inevitable death. My bones mutilated themselves in awkward angles, the pain excruciating. I don't wish that kind of pain on my own worst enemy-that bitch, Becky Summers. How cliché.

A fancy group of cars parked outside the two story house greets me, much to my dismay, as Travis lead me to the building. I felt the bitter taste of bile rise up my throat. I shake my head. I can't do this, I can't go in there.

"Miss Ana..." Travis trails off.

I knew what he was asking.

The front door?

I nod my head. We walk up the driveway approaching the door that will lead us straight into the ballroom. He opens the glass double doors, classic music drifting throughout the room. I bow my head. I can't face seeing all the faces of these men, knowing one of them might be chosen as my mate. Blessed by the Goddess or not, my father was going through with this. I felt like a fucking ornament being auctioned off to the highest bidder. I sniff a little, praying to higher deities that these wolves--no, vultures--don't notice my vulnerability.

Travis, my bodyguard, leads me to my dad's office up the spiral stairs. We stop at a door, down the hallway engraved Alpha Rostov, in gold italics.

"Let's wait here. Alpha mentioned he was in a meeting." Travis says quietly.

I snort, he didn't even bother to make an appearance at his own party. How fucken civilized of him. I wish I can take a rock and throw it at his face and tell him that's how I feel about this whole situation. Maybe then he'd understand that's he's only daughter feels trapped.

I lean against the wall, thinking about all the different ways I can talk myself out of this mess.

Dad, I'm still twenty. I can't be someone's mate, I can't have a husband. I haven't even pursued my dream career.

How would mom feel about this, Dad?

The door creaks ajar. The low murmurs now into clear voices.

"The East land is under construction."

My eyes snap up to the figure standing on the other side. His large, broad shoulders filled most of my view. The black suit jacket snug on his lower back. His dark hair glistening...in gel? And what was that delicious scent of musk, wood and oranges?

I tilt my head back and sniff the air. The scent stronger on the inside of the office? Is it him?

His back stiffens, standing up straighter. He whirls around so fast I almost take a step back. His nose expands, inhaling the air. Blue eyes widen. I stare at him, startled. I could feel my wolf prancing around, mewing in utter... delight?

He steps forward, opening the door to the fullest extent.

He growls, "Mine."