Into the Sea

"Mama! Mama! Can we please wake Daddy?" the little children called.

I chuckled, my kids not realizing I was awake. I stayed still, waiting, pretending. A bell of laughter filled the air and soon after, I heard the patter of small feet. My children jumped up onto my bed and started to shake me.

"Daddy! Daddy! Wake up!" Roxann, my little girl, screamed. She looked like me, with dark, curly hair and green eyes.

"Yeah Dad! Breakfast is ready!" Thales, my son, hollered. Thales had his mother's hair and my green eyes.

Before my kids had time to react, I sat up quickly and grabbed hold of them, "The tickle monster is here!" I laughed evilly as I began tickling and holding them to me with no escape. Shrieking and laughter filled the air. I looked up to see Rena, my wife, standing in the doorway. She had beautiful wavy, light-brown hair, which was up in a bun, and pale skin. Her sapphire eyes sparkled with joy. I let go of our kids and they ran to their mother and hid behind her, giggling.

"Roxann, Thales, have you been behaving?"

Their giggles increased with a resounding, "Yes."

Rena's smile widened. "Good." Her gazed turned my way. "Myles, breakfast is ready. Please hurry and get ready. The market will be open soon."

I nodded and got up, putting on a white chiton and sandals. I walked down the stairs and to the dining room. The table was set and food laid out.

I kissed Rena on the cheek, "Looks delicious, honey."

She smiled up at me. "Thanks dear."

We ate, discussing what we were planning on doing for the day. I agreed to help Rena carry the groceries home. Apparently we needed a lot of food. The children helped her bring all the dirty dishes to the kitchen. Roxann started to wash and Thales went to the pottery room in case anyone came by to buy something while Rena and I were gone.

Once we were out of the house, Rena spoke, "Hera truly blessed us when I gave birth to Roxann and Thales. They're very good kids, don't you think?"

I nodded, "It helps to have a great mother."

Rena scoffed, "Oh please, Myles! I do what every mother does! I care for my children and make sure all their time isn't taken up by games and fun so they know how to function in life. It isn't that hard."

"Ha! You make it sound so easy. Remember when Roxann and Thales were playing outside while it was raining and then dragged mud through the house?"

Rena laughed. "Yes! They were so miffed that I made them clean it all up."

I laughed. "Roxann pouted and muttered about it being unfair the entire time."

Rena shrugged. "Thales said it wasn't his fault Zeus decided to make it rain."

"He did say that!"

We chuckled and remembered other times the kids misbehaved. We remembered how angry we were at the time, but now thought those incidents were humorous. Then we walked around the last corner to the market and froze in our steps. A crowd swallowed the market. No one was shopping. Just listening to a raggedy old man. His gray hair was brown from dirt and grease. He was so thin that his garments, so dirty they were brown, hung off him. On his skin were patches of dirt and dried sweat.

Fear filled Rena's voice as she stared at the scene before her, "Myles, what's going on?"

I shook my head, "I don't know. Go home, and I'll get what I can. We'll get the rest tomorrow. Don't worry, dear. I'm sure it's nothing." Rena was about to argue. I spoke first. "Dear, please, just go home. I'll be fine, I promise. I just don't want anything to happen to you."