What Is Verbal Abuse?

Verbal abuse is more common then it should be.

Verbal abuse is whenever anyone, your spouse, partner, parent/guardian, teacher, coworker, and etc. does one of the following and doesn't apologize:

Gives criticism: Finding fault in what you do.

Examples- "You can't do anything right!", "This dinner is f***ing horrible. You can't do anything right."

Belittling:  When someone makes you seem unimportant.

Examples-"You can't take a joke.", "You are too sensitive!"

• Scapegoating/Transferring Blame:  Blaming you for something that was out of your control or a simple mistake (everyone is human, people make mistakes).

Examples- "It is all your fault!", "You always try to pick a fight with me!

Insulting/Name Calling: Calling you names and insulting you.

Examples- "You are such a slut!", "You a**hole!", "Why are you so stupid?"

Threatening: Threatening to hurt you or others, to not allow you to go out of the house, etc.

Examples- "I am going to kill your a**!", "You better not try to leave, or I swear to god I am going to kill you.", "I will beat you if you dare try to go to a therapist."

• Commanding: Commanding you to do something instead of kindly asking, like you are not an equal.

Examples- "Get me that beer, now!", "You better clean the floor!"

_____

This is verbal abuse. It is very wrong, and if someone is verbal abusing you, I am hoping that you tell someone. A teacher, friend, adult, relative, or anyone you trust and will help you. I know it is hard, but you deserve much more. I will be making a book with websites for information and help soon.