The Grandfather Clock

The Grandfather Clock, used to tick away in my grannies living room, as she was serving hot tea and scones. I used to love being at my grandmas; it was always the best. She used to give me a sweater when I was cold, a red sweater which had been hand knitted. It was so warm!

But on that one day; the day when the Grandfather Clock stopped working.  My gran sadly passed away. It has never worked since. I always questioned the coincidence of my grandmother’s death since.

After the funeral; a will which my grandmother left for me and my brother; was handed to us. She left all of her money to me and Jack but asked a favour in return. To bury that Grandfather Clock; next to her grave.

Following what my grandmother asked of us in the will, we carried it to the graveyard where my grandmother was buried. We noticed Grandmother’s grave on the way in, embedded in roses which nearly covered the writing “With the angels forever, RIP, Claire Pinders, mother, loyal wife,devoted grandmother and carer”

My brother began to weep and turned to me for comfort, she had passed too soon. I looked down at the grave and said “I love you Gran, you will always be in my heart” My brother was too upset to say anything.

After the Grandfather Clock was buried, we noticed the darkness drawing in; the hands on my watch creeping closer to midnight. We began to solemnly walk to the gate, still distraught with grief. Our attention was drawn to Gran’s grave once again however this time, draped on the grave in a neat fold, was the red sweater she always let me wear. A note, placed on top of the sweater softly crumpled in the breeze. I picked it up; my eyes widening to what I had just read. The note read “I love you too…”