Mornings- Ch.1

I lifted my hand limply to my face, groaning a little at the light that was shining through the crack in the curtains. I opened my eyes slowly, still adjusting to the brightness.

Confusion clouds my vision for a moment as I look around. My room was.. backwards. The wardrobe and dresser were on the left of the room instead of the right, the box of toys was on top of my press rather than in it. Where was my painting from the other day? I shake my head, I must be going mad. I step lightly onto the floor and open the door.

I stop. No, this couldn't be right. The stairs were facing the wrong way. My door was the first one you saw when you looked up at the top of the stairs, now it was around the corner? I stood perplexed for a second but decided to walk down anyway. I could just be seeing things again like the doctor said.

I heard singing coming through the room ahead.

"The maid was in the garden,
Hanging out the clothes;
When down came a blackbird
And pecked off her nose."

I peeked in the door and froze. There, was my mother. But it couldn't be her, could it? She had bones coming out from her arms like knives, her neck was long and thin. She was tall and her back had a slight curve to it, and there were sharp ridges jutting out along her spine through her clothes. Although I could not see her face, I could tell it wouldn't look like her. Her face was too angular, too pale.

"I know you're there, my dear. You can stop hiding."

I stepped out shakily into the bright room.

"I wasn't hiding" I reply.

"Then you would not have stood gawking sweetheart. Did you sleep well?" She looks me up and down.

It takes me a good few seconds to answer her. I was too focused on her eyes. They were completely white. They had no iris, or a pupil.

"Hello? Are you alright? You look a bit off."

"Uh, yeah. I'm fine." I answer unsure. She surveys me with a thin lipped smile. Turning around, she picks up pan of food that I did not notice before.

"Well, a good breakfast will certainly wake you up. Would you go get your sister? I'm afraid she's having a bit of a lazy day you see."

"My.. sister? Where is she?" I ask, confused about the sibling I could not remember. How could I not remember?

"In her room of course." She replies.

I back out of the room quite quickly, eager to get out of there. Nodding at the woman as I go. I turn down a random hallway, throwimg myself into the room. It was a bathroom. I sighed and shook my head. What was going on? Am I making things up again? The doctor said I would be ok, but I do not have my medicine with me. I approach the mirror apprehensively wondering if I was a monster like Mother.

But I still looked the same. My blond ringlets tumbled down my back, reflecting the dim light. I had no bones jutting out of anywhere, and my eyes weren't white. But they were different. I had one green eye, and one gold. I could not think why. That word. Why? I have not been awake for fifteen minutes and already everything was different. Rooms, furniture...people.
I ran a hand through my hair and took a deep breath. I walked as quiet as a mouse out of the room. I took a moment to observe my surroundings. There were no pictures of people. The only decoration I could see was an old painting of a vase. There was a fine layer of dust around some of the banisters and on the windows. I continued on like this, documenting every image into my mind. I heard a voice.

"Aisling?"

I swung around. There was a girl standing in the doorframe. What struck me was her face, and her body. She looked normal, nothing like Mother. And she looked exactly like me.

A/N: So! First book on Wattpad! Woo! I would appreciate feedback and if you see any spelling/grammer mistakes, feel free to point them out!