Cimmerian. 1

'I walk in the darkness so others may see the light"

1.

'Obaasan! Please don't make me do this!' The thin pale young girl cried as velvet red drops of water fell from the corner of her eyes while she begged her grandmother.

The girl knew that no amount of begging would stop what was to come, but she still couldn't help but feel the dread. One look from her aging grandmother and the girl knew that all her efforts were in vain. As sobs racked through her body, her arms dropped to her side as she obediently followed her grandmother into the small dark room that was the cause of most of her nightmares.

Taking her usual place before the shrine, she tried one more time as she looked towards her grandmother with begging eyes. Nothing but emotionless black orbs stared at her before the eruption of pain fled through her very existence.

---

"Your grandmother... what did you think of her?"

They called her crazy. Saying that her age was getting to her, making her delusional. They stripped her rights as my guardian away saying she was menatlly and physically unwell to care for a teenage girl. They didn't believe in the consequences that she told them of if I was to leave. No matter how much she screamed at them.

They said I was neglected, metally and physically abused. One trip to our small shack on top of a hill surrounded by trees and forest was enough for them to take me away in that moment. No matter how much my grandmother and I fought against them, they still took me. Leaving my grandmother calling my name in fear and anguish as I was pulled from the small back room and out of the front door.

I tried to go back, tried to reach my grandmother. But they restrained me until I was in the back of a car with the only home I have known growing smaller and smaller as the distance between us grew. My head was in turmoil as my heart was in shatters. I saw the darkness come, it swarmed the surrounding forest as we drove pass. Faces behind the shadows came out watching, waiting for me to be vulnerable. After seeing the faces I couldn't help screaming, as the fear of the consequences drove me crazy. It wasn't until I felt a prick in my arm that my eyes grew drowsy until the vision turned black.

When I woke up again I was in a medical room covered in a light blue blanket with a white undersheet. My usual plain black skirt and long-sleeved sweater was no longer on me; instead I was wearing a hospital gown that had my undergarments peeking out of the back.

They came in trying to get me to talk. Trying to get information on my grandmother and I and our lifestyle. But I wouldn't talk, because no matter what I told them they wouldn't believe me anyway. It was my eleventh day here and just like clockwork the same lady who wore her blonde hair in a pin tight bun with thick black framed glasses perched on the tip of her nose came in and sat beside my bed and asked her questions.

I looked towards her blue eyes with an empty expression, showing her that once again I was not going to answer. However, she just sat there smiling before asking a question that wasn't part of her usual ones.

"You have never gone to school correct?"

She was right, I have not. Grandmother taught me the basics of reading and writing at home even though she was completely blind. Besides the basics she did not believe that our lifestyle required higher education as we had different purposes in life than normal people.

I shook my head.

"Would you like to?" She asked.

I pondered the question. Did I? When I was younger I asked grandmother why I couldn't go to school and do normal stuff like the children in the village below the forest did.Her answer was because it was simply not necessary. But now that I was taken away would it be forever? Or would I soon be able to go back to her? If so, could I use the time between that to experience the life of a normal person like I have always wanted to?

"Is it possible?" I asked.

At first she was shocked. Over the eleven days that I have been here, that was my first time talking or answering anyone's question. But she hid that shock fast and put a smile on her face while nodding her head.

"We can make it happen" She said.

"Okay" I nodded.