Chapter One

Samantha Carlisle POV-

The driver pulled the car down the long driveway, and into the circle. It was a rather dreary morning, as if the clouds had decided to make a bad day even worse. The chauffeur opened my door, and offered me a hand getting out. Carefully lifting my dress to avoid the puddles, I stepped slowly onto the gravel, under the umbrella stationed above my head. My new "home" was a large manor, built with pale, yellow creme colored stone. Large trees with budding flowers surrounded the castle. "Welcome to Haxby." My father said with a smile. "My darling Samantha, you're going to love it here. I've had my eye on this manor for several years, I know you'll be pleased with it."

          "Yes dear, the manor will be perfect for our family," said my mother, Alice, stepping out of the car. As much as I wanted to roll my eyes at her false care for my well being, I did not.

          Our staff had arrived a couple days ahead of us, in order to prepare for our arrival. They scurried to collect our bags and escort us inside. Clarissa, my ladies maid, was to show me around the house. Yes, I had done a little exploring before we moved in, but not quite enough to be comfortable with my surroundings. One of the only upsides to moving into a new home, especially Haxby, is that there seems to be so many secrets waiting to be discovered. 

          After ascending the spiraling staircase, I arrived at my sleeping chambers at the end of the hall. My bedroom had deep blue satin curtains, and rosy walls. My bed sat in the farthest corner, alongside a large window, that would normally let in lots of light. Clarissa had set a vase of cattleya orchids on my bedside table, to make the room seem more welcoming. The room itself was quite appealing, but something was missing. "Wait a minute... Clarissa, where's periwinkle?" I questions her.

          "Oh my apologies, he's been spending the night with me the past couple of days, he's been so lonely, miss." She responded.

          "Oh, alright. I appreciate your consideration for his well-being. Could you bring him up here, please?" She nodded and headed down to the servants quarters. She returned a couple minutes later carrying my heart and soul.

That cat had been with me through everything. As a little girl, I had always wanted a little kitten, female obviously. I was determined on naming her periwinkle, even after I was informed that my new kitten was a boy.

At 13 years old, his old gray hair was well groomed, he was fed, and looked healthy. Clarissa had obviously taken very good care of him. He meowed and attempted to leap out of Clarissa's arms, his head only nearly missing the cabinet. I ran and scooped him up, his claws hooked to my shawl.

"Lady Samantha, whenever you're ready, I should get you ready for your evening with your father. Your mother is not joining you tonight, she wants to stay and settle in a little." Clarissa informed me. I breathed a silent sigh of relief before going to sit down at my dresser.

"Could I wear my new peach evening dress? It comes to my ankles and has an embellished neckline." I informed her. She nodded and scurried to the closet, before pulling out the dress I had just described. She also grabbed a pair of white heels and a pearl necklace to go with it.

After nearly an hour of preparation, I was ready for dinner. My hair was twisted up into a braided bun. As I descended the stairs, papa took my hand and led me to the large doors, before giving me a smile and escorting me outside. The rain had cleared, but the mud had not. A rainbow had appeared in the sky where the dark clouds had been. I stepped into the car, and off we went.

In half an hour, papa and I had arrived outside an old hotel that had been transformed into a fine dining establishment. Laughter filled the room as we walked in, and the wonderful smell of pasta and seafood greeted us. We were seated at a table but the window, so we could watch the sun set while we ate.

"How do you feel about Haxby?" Papa asked as we looked over our menus. I wasn't quite sure what to tell him, as I wasn't quite sure the answer. He frowned at my long pause.

          "It's... it's different." I told him and he chuckled.

          "I know it's a little big for our family, but I just love it. So many memories. Waiting to be made, of course..." He corrects himself.

         "Yeah, the house itself seems to tell a story. Some houses appear to tell sad stories, some tell happy." I said, thinking out loud.

          "What does this house say to you?" Papa questioned me.

          "It tells a bittersweet story."  I said, not sure if I meant our story or the house's story. This was such a meaningful conversation, the first one in a while. He glanced at me with a curious look in his eyes as the waiter approached our table.

          "Might I get you anything to drink, miss?" The tall man asked.

          "Just a glass of water will do for now, thank you." I respond.

          "And for you sir?" He turns to face papa.

          "I'd like a glass of brandy with a slice of orange in it, and some water as well."

          "Absolutely, sir." Our waiter answered, before heading to the kitchen to fetch our drinks. He returned only a moment later carrying a silver platter with three drinks atop it. Papa's drink was a deep penny-colored liquid with a fresh orange perched on the top. The waiter set down two tall glasses with icy water in them, along with a basket of freshly baked bread. A small plate with half a stick of real butter was set beside the bread basket. The smell was mouth-watering.

          "I believe we know what we would like to eat." Papa glanced at me, and I nodded. I ordered the spaghetti pomodoro, a delicious pasta with tomatoes, fresh garlic, basil, and olive oil. I also ordered grilled chicken to be mixed in. Papa ordered roasted shrimp scampi and fresh green beans. I myself have never cared much for seafood, but papa loves it.

Our meals arrived a little while later, and they were scrumptious. Papa and I laughed and talked later into the night than I had expected, but I wouldn't have changed it for the world. As we headed for the car, I dreaded the storm I knew was brewing at home. It goes without saying that mama was going to have papa's head for not taking her out for a nice dinner.

Upon arriving back at the house, we were greeted in the drawing room by mama, obviously waiting for us to arrive. "How was your dinner?" She asked us, plastering a smile upon her face.

"Very nice, the food was just perfect." I told her, returning the gesture.

"Yes indeed it was. How were things here while we were out?" Papa questioned.

"A nice young lady stopped by, claiming to live at the Abbey close by. I believe her name was Edith, a strange name if you ask me. But I'm afraid that's beside the point. She welcomed us and invited our family to join them for dinner this coming Saturday." She informed us, with a rather bored look on her face.

Papa drummed his fingers on the table beside him, pondering what to say to her. It shouldn't take this long for him to decide, the answer is a simple yes or no. "I think that would be a nice way to, um, get to know the family." Papa finally answered. Mama only nodded, and then looked at me, almost as if she was dismissing me to my room. As I headed up the stairs, I heard them begin a new discussion.

An hour later and they had moved their conversation up to the bedroom. Their voices gradually escalated as I laid my head on the feather pillow underneath me. I drifted off to sleep to the sound of their arguing voices.