Have You Missed Me?

It's been almost a thousand years since I became a vampire. Becoming a vampire and living forever was never a part of my plan. To be honest I have never had the desire to live forever. I always imagined it would be rather boring to walk this earth for eternity. All alone.

And I was right. It is so unbelievably boring. It was fun in the beginning, but I quickly ran out of places to see and things to do. There's not really much to do when you've already done it all centuries ago. I can't believe that my good friend Elijah would curse me to this tragic existence.

A thousand years ago I lived close to the Mikaelsons. My family and their family were extremely close since we were the only human families living there. I became good friends with all the Mikaelson kids, and eventually I fell in love with one of them. Niklaus.

Fortunately – or perhaps unfortunately if I look back at it – he fell in love with me too. After having been just friends for a couple of years he finally confessed his feelings to me and we became lovers. We even planned to get married. We were happy. So unbelievably happy. However this happiness did not last long. After the youngest Mikaelson, Henrik, died at the hands of the werewolves, everything fell apart. Somehow Ester managed to make the whole Mikaelson family immortal. Invincible. Unbeatably. She made them into vampires. And that was the moment everything changed. Suddenly I was all alone. They all left. Even my dear Niklaus left me, without as much as a goodbye.

A couple of months after they all left I was still living with the werewolves. For the most parts we got along just fine, but I could tell that my parents and also some of my siblings were nervous. I can't really blame them. We all saw what they did to Henrik, why wouldn't we be scared that they would do the same to us? And they did. However this was as much our fault as it was theirs.

Long story short, on the night of the full moon my father freaked out and attacked the werewolves. Let's just say it didn't really go all to well. My whole family were killed. I should have been dead too, but it just so happened that Elijah had come "home" to visit that exact day. He came just in time to save me. I was so close to death that the only thing he could do in hopes to save me was to turn me into a vampire.

I suppose I am grateful to Elijah for saving my life, but at the same time there are moments when I wish he hadn't. I don't really enjoy life as a vampire. If I could I would have killed myself many centuries ago. But I can't, not yet.

The only thing that has kept me going till this day is the hope of one day meeting my beloved Niklaus again. I have tracked him down several times during all these years, but I have never been able to muster the courage to actually confront him.

The first time I tracked him down was about half a year after I was turned into a vampire. When I finally found him I was so happy. I actually believed that we could go back to how we were back when we were humans. How naïve I was. When I first saw him after all that time I knew immediately, I didn't even have to face him. I knew the moment I laid eyes on him that he was no longer the man I loved, at least not completely. I am ashamed to say it, but I was scared. I was scared of him, the man I loved. So instead of talking to him, I just ran away.

I am not sure what he thinks happened to me after he left, but I am one hundred percent sure that he believes me to be dead by now. Why wouldn't he? It has been over a thousand years after all. Most people do not live this long. Of course he would think I am dead. Perhaps that is what has made it so easy for me to just run away instead of confronting him. If he knew I was alive I might have felt guilty, but since he didn't have a clue, I could tell myself that it was better this way.