A New Life (Chap. 16) (a witch love story)

~~~Katheren's P.O.V.~~~

"Katheren, no," I heard someone sob. It was weird, here, encased in a soft golden light, everything was peaceful, so warm, the cry was so full of anguish, it shocked me. "No, you can't leave no, no! I love you, don't- don't leave me."

What was wrong? Who was that person? Why were they in so much pain?

"Kates, please!" Oh, it was Daren. But what was wrong? All I could see was a gold light, but the more I focused on his face, the more the light faded.

Finally, I was able to open my eyes. Daren had his arms around me and his face was hidden in my chest. I felt something tear inside me to see him like that. I tired to speak, but it didn't work so I put my hand over his. His hand flipped over to grab mine roughly. When he spoke, it was muffled. "Why did you leave me?" His voice broke on the last word.

I opened my mouth but nothing came out, I cleared my throat and tried again. "I didn't try. What happened?"

"What happened was a warlock attacked you and I couldn't save you, it's my fault you're dead."

Dead? I'm not dead; at least I didn't feel dead. Wait, he still thinks that I am dead! "If I am dead, then how am I talking to you?" I said gently.

"Because my subconscious wants to torture me even more-"

"Daren, look at me."

"No!" His voice broke again. "I won't be able to bear seeing you like that."

"Daren. Look. At. Me."

Slowly, reluctantly, he lifted his face to look into my eyes. "Katheren!" His face was glowing; it almost looked like he was going to start crying again. But then he frowned, "Am I dreaming or crazy or something?"

"Hmm, not sure, you tell me," I murmured then bent down to kiss him. I gasped and he leaned away, alarmed. "I'm f-"

"Do not say 'fine', the last tie that you said that, I was seconds away from losing you."

"Then I'm alright. Just really...sore? I guess that would describe it," I said, then groaned, something was really annoying me.

"What?"

"Calm down. It's just really aggravating to look down at you to talk to you went I am used to looking up at you. Come sit up here." I slowly sat up into a sitting position- I was a little dizzy- and patted the now vacant seat.

He deliberated for a second then got up off of the floor to sit where I had indicated. Daren took the pillow that my head was just resting on and put it on his lap. He pushed my shoulder down so I was lying down again. When I started to protest, he said, "You need to rest."

I would have disputed that, but I knew he was right, I was tired, and I relaxed into unconsciousness again.