1: Our Adventure Begins (Mint)

"Coco, let's go outside already! I want to sing a song for you!" I call angrily.

My name is Mint. Well, that's what I've been called my entire life, and that's what I prefer to be called.

Coco runs across the room, panting. "Okay! Okay! Don't get your panties in a wad."

And this is Coco, my best friend. We are both fifteen. We are very close, like sisters.

And this is our adventure.

Together we walk outside the back door, the chill of fall wind sweeping our hair in crazy directions. I spit the ball of hair out of my mouth, gagging. "Yee," Coco snorts, "It's freezing out here." Her thick dark brown hair flows all around her; her rectangular face pale with cold. Her round eyes reflect the moonlight. I shake my head and roll my eyes. "If you can't stand this, you'll never be able to survive out here alone..." I quote in a low voice. Coco raises her thick eyebrows. "Why'd you say that? And how in the world could we ever get lost here? There's no way... not in this small town!" she exclaims. I squint. "Sure. If you think so..." I make my classic clown face out of pure boredom. Coco squeaks, "Please, don't do that. It literally scares the crap out of me." We both laugh, and I make my way to the metal chair located in the corner of the porch.

I pull it out from the table and sit down, clearing my throat, "Okay I'm going to sing now. What song should I sing...?" I sit there for a bit, humming. Coco faces the opposite way, not moving. Her hoodie waving slightly with the rapid winds. "Okay! I know what I'm going to sing!" I declare. Just as I open my mouth, she jumps, jostling my chair.

"Hey! What gives?" I say crossly. "Look." Coco lifts her finger, and my eyes follow its tip to the forest. Hidden in a tree are a pair of eyes, glaring at us. I shiver, whisper-screaming, "What is that?!" I hear bark crackling, as if an animal is sharpening its claws on the rough wood. Coco and I watch, intrigued. I see a cat-like, black tail disappear into the orange and brown foliage.
Realization hits me. "Oh my god! Was that a cat?" I exclaim. Coco shrugs. "It doesn't matter," she says dismissively, "It's gone." I turn around to glare at her. "Well, aren't you just a little ray of sunshine? C'mon, let's go look for it." Coco puts her hands up in rejection. "Dude, no. What if it has rabies? And besides, you already have two cats." I look at her with my puppy dog eyes, knowing she can't resist. "Pwease! Pretty pwease with sugar on top?" She rolls her big brown eyes. "You forgot the cherry."

"Pretty pwease with sugar and a cherry on top?" I beg. She smirks, crossing her arms one on top of the other. "Fine, but you owe me." She laughs. "I just hope we don't get lost. That'd suck." I shrug. "I don't think we can get lost... Remember what you said? Don't go back on your own words!" I say, even though I'm not quite sure. Coco grumbles, "Mint. We will lose ourselves once we've left." She points her finger again, and all I see for miles are trees and mountains lit by the moonlight... I shake my head, "Oh... Well if we are going, we should probably go. That cat will be hard to find..."

Coco sighs, "Are you sure you're not just wanting to go on an adventure? I know you pretty well," she states. I smile, pacing towards the ledge of the porch. "Maybe," is all I reply. Coco sighs, smiling too.

She walks away; out into the woods. She looks back at me, her voice rising over the howling wind, "Are you coming?" I struggle to my feet and shout, "Duh!" I rush after her.

And our story begins...