A New Life (Chap. 17) (a witch love story)

~~~Katheren's P.O.V.~~~

He looked at me uncomprehendingly. "But you don't like being a witch."

"I never said that." I may have thought that multiple times, but I have never said that.

"You didn't need to; it was written all over your face when I was teaching you those protections spells." He reached over to cup my face in his hand. "Why do you want to learn? Why now? I won't allow anyone to hurt you if that's what you are worried about."

I don't want you to get hurt while someone is going after me, I almost said but bit my tongue. "I know you won't but I hate not being able to do anything, so the least I can do is learn some spells."

"Hmm, I will teach you, if it is what you want, but only because I have to."

"It is what I want and why do you have to?"

"It's a tradition that if a new witch asks to be taught, you must take them in as your apprentice or help them find someone who can teach them. Usually you would be taught by your par-" he broke off suddenly and took a breath before continuing, "-to another witch in the family, to teach you, but we don't know who on your mother's side knows, so you can't so that. And having you go to some stranger is out of the question," he jaw tightened, "so I guess I have to be your mentor."

I giggled. "'Mentor' is such a funny word."

"Maybe you should go back to sleep, you are acting kind of erratic."

"Nope. I'm f-alright. So 'mentor', when do we start?"

He frowned. "Since it's Monday... uh, Wednesday after school." I opened my mouth to comment, but he cut me off. "No, we are not going to be training today or tomorrow."

"Why?" I whined.

"Because your life force is too low, using your aura now could be dangerous."

"I thought that you said that I have a really strong aura.... Shouldn't I be fine to use my... powers then?"

"You have a strong aura that you can't control. Control's what makes all the difference."

"But shouldn't I still be strong though?"

"When you can't control your aura, you waste it; you use much more than is needed. But you seem, like I had said before, to have more control than other witchlings, so you could probably learn more, faster."

"'Witchling'?"

"A witch that is just learning about there heritage, to control their powers."

"It sounds like duckling."

Daren laughed. "If you want me to call you that, then I will... duckling."

"Oh shut up!" I laughed and tried to hit him. But he only caught my hand and intertwined his fingers with mine. I smirked; it was time for a little pay back. If he was going to call me duckling... I leaned forward and just when my lips brushed his, I jerked away.

His eyes flew open and frantically searched mine. "That was mean," he said when he saw only humor there.

"Don't call me duckling."

He bit his lip. "Only if you don't so that again, because I don't think that I would be able to refrain myself form grabbing you and making you kiss me. That was really mean!"

I chuckled. "Deal. Oh, and let me make it up to you." I leaned forward to kiss him again, he let go of my hands to grasp my shoulders. So I couldn't get away I guessed and smiled against his lips. "Wait, I wasn't really sick, so I won't get you sick or anything, right?" I asked after he pulled away.