Chapter 1: Curing Awkwardness

Oh, why hello there Mr. Ground. Yes, I have missed you too. No, it's not like I have fallen once already in the last five minutes.

"Need a little help Rikki" Says the energetic blonde in front of me.

I grab the hand of my best friend and get back up, "Thanks Mere," We were on our way to our English class and that was when I decided to trip on my own two feet.

We walked into the classroom and sat down in our assigned seats. I really don't know why we need assigned seats. I'm pretty sure we are capable of choosing where we get to sit. Then again, I shouldn't be complaining because I was lucky enough to be sitting by Meredith. Looking out the window I could see a girl walking her dog. It was a warm spring day, the birds were chirping, and the sun was shining. The weatherman said it was going to be mostly cloudy with a chance of rain. I guess he got it wrong as usual.

A boy with golden hair and caramel eyes sat down behind Meredith and kissed her on the cheek, "Hey Mere," he said smiling at her before looking over and noticing me, "Oh, and uh, Rikki."

"Hey Sean," we say at the same time. Sean has been Meredith's boyfriend for a whole two weeks and they were still in the honeymoon stage. It was pretty gross if you ask me.

"I'm sorry I couldn't be at the meet, how was it?" Mere asks and Sean tells her all about the track meet and how he ran "faster than a speeding bullet". Sean was one of fastest runners at our school. He was a typical cool jock guy. Mere on the other hand was on the gymnastics team and was pretty much a bendy straw. She also had a way with boys. It was easy for her to talk to them. She giggles, teases and just the whole enchilada. The conversation just flows naturally out of her. Then you have me on the sidelines sitting in silence. Half listening to what they were saying,half wanting to join in but not knowing what to say.

When class starts Mere ends her conversation and turns back around and whispers to me, "Why didn't you say anything?"

"Because I didn't feel like being the third wheel," I admit looking down as I play with a lock of my hair.

Meredith frowns, "You are not the third wheel. You should join in next time. Sean's a nice guy and I want my best friend and my boyfriend to get along."

"I know but--"

"Meredith, Rikki, I know your conversation must be riveting but I'm trying to teach a class," Mr. Hawkins says from the front of the classroom. I turn a shade of pink and slide lower into my seat.

Class is pretty entertaining only because I like English and Mr. Hawkins. He's one of my favorite teachers and he usually doesn't scold me because I'm one of his favorite students. Not to mention I don't do anything. Honestly I don't know why I have any friends, I'm so boring compared to everyone else. Since being scolded I throw myself into taking notes to avoid doing anything else wrong.

"Rikki?"

"Hmm?" I hum looking up at Mr. Hawkins.

"Rikki could you go up and turn off the lights? I have a video clip I want the class to watch before we dive into our next topic."

I nod before standing up and heading over to the light switch. The only problem was that halfway from my seat to the light switch I trip over something and fall face first onto the floor. The whole class erupts into laughter and my face probably resembled Clifford the big red dog. I look back to see a foot extended from under a desk. My eyes trail up to see that it belonged to Wyatt Bradshaw. He's laughing along with the rest of the class and I see him secretly high five his friend under the desk.

Thank goodness, Jason Callahan comes up to me with a boyish smile and extends a hand. I take it graciously, "Um, uh, heh," I shoot Jason a shy smile then quickly turn around, looking down to the floor as I scurry over to turn off the lights and go back to my seat.

 "You okay Rikki?" Meredith asks concern written on her face.

"Yea I'm fine, it's nothing out of the ordinary." I give her a soft reassuring smile and turn to the screen to watch the video clip.

Once class is over I grab my books and hurry out the classroom. As I walk out the door Wyatt leans down to my ear and whispers, "Even when the lights were off I could still see your glow-in-the-dark red cheeks."

My cheeks turn red again, but this time it's because I was fuming.

*****

Normally at lunch I sit by Meredith and some of her gymnast friends but since Sean and her began dating we resorted to sitting at an empty table with just the three of us. Except today Sean had a meeting for track during lunch which left just Meredith and I at the lunch table. I plopped down in my seat beside Meredith, my lunch tray making a clanking sound as it collided with the table, "What's new?" I say munching on a french fry.

Something you need to know about Meredith is that she is a sucker for some good gossip. She's not one not spread things around but she loves hearing the news of the school. Don't worry though, despite being a lover of gossip she is great at keeping secrets and I know I could trust her with anything. Meredith looks left and right before leaning into me and lowering her voice, "Well, apparently Savannah Mill and Jason Callahan broke up. It was brutal, he caught Savannah in bed with Walter Behlendorf."

"Jason's best friend, Walter?"

"Well ex-best friend now."

"Ouch, Jason really liked her too."

Meredith leans back and rolls her eyes, "He didn't like her that much. Besides, I heard from Cathy Holt, who heard from Jessie Gold, who heard from her sister Thalia, who heard from Jason's sister Sidney, that Jason kinda likes you!" She squeals.

I snort, "You've got to be kidding me. Jason like me? No way."

"You never know Rikki, he could like you." She noted taking a bite from her pasta.

"So? Who cares?"

"Um, I do cuz you're my best friend! Plus, you've had a crush on him since the third grade. You have a chance Rikki. Go for it."

"I don't think so. I'd probably embarrass myself."

"You know, you don't have to be so weird around people. Just pretend they're me or something and speak normally."

"Hah," The thought of me, Rikki Parks, being normal around people is hilarious, "Are you kidding? I'm always spilling on myself, bumping into people , or saying something stupid."

"You're ok around some people,"

" Other than you, my mom, and Derek I don't think so."

"Well, if you're ever gonna have a boyfriend--"

"Boys! Everything is more awkward with a boy involved." I point out.

"That is it! Meredith stands up and yells.

"Shush!" I say as my eyes go wide and I tug on the bottom of her blouse begging her to sit back down. We were getting looks from the people around us.

"No, I'm going to cure you of your awkwardness! It'll be a challenge but I'm ready."

"Good luck with that."

Thanks, I'll need all the luck I can get," She smirks before sitting back down. "When I'm done you'll have boys lining up for you."