Chapter one: God, Crystal and Temptation

“Crystal! Crystal, I'm going to confiscate your laptop if you don't come down NOW!” The tone in my mothers voice echoed around my house making me feel as if a fearless bull was going too come charging up the stairs; looking for me to devour. I sighed painfully as I closed down my world and went to join my mom for dinner.

“I've forgotten what you look like since you're always upstairs on that thing!” My mother explained handing me a plate full of food. “It's not healthy you know.. Being on your own! What's so interesting on that thing anyway?” My heart started racing.. a million thoughts invaded my mind: Should I tell her? What if she already knows? Maybe she's checked my history? “Jesus, please, I can't tell her yet it's not the time!” My world twisted, I couldn't see, objects were spinning around me and all I could hear was my mothers shaken voice. “CRYSTAL...!!!”

I woke up in my own bed, cloth over my head and my mom standing over me anxiously waiting for me to speak. “Thank you god.” She mouthed, I studied her worried-stuck face. “What happened?” I asked, my voice sounding like a horse that had done 5 miles of galloping. “You passed out” she answered, “I was worried sick.” A tear dropped from her eye; I sat up and she cradled me. “I'm sorry darling!” She cried, kissing my cheek. She stood up and strolled out of my bedroom placing a bible next to my laptop.

That night I didn't sleep, I didn't look at my laptop. I just prayed for god to show me what to do.. That was the first time I had ever prayed. My mom was a Christian but she let me do my own thing and make my own decisions (to an extent). Choosing not to follow god, religion and Jesus was one of the decisions I made. Until this very day, I prayed the whole night and said sorry to god for not believing in him and asking him to help me from today on..

I had a vision then.. I'm pretty sure it was a vision because I don't remember sleeping at all that night. I saw myself.. I had dark circles under my eyes making it look as if I hadn't slept for 100 years, I was skinny as if I hadn't eaten, I had bruises.. I just wasn't me. I heard a cry from afar, I didn't know what or where that cry was coming from.. I was just alone, alone and scared.

“JADE! THANK GOD. I'M SO SCARED!!!” I screamed down the phone – hoping I could confide in my best friend. She wasn't a Christian either, she didn't see things the way my mom would have if I told her but, I needed someone to tell! “Last night.. I was kind of asleep and I had a dream and it was me and I looked like hell. Like I hadn't slept, eaten or washed for years.. It's so hard to explain, but I'm so scared.” Silence. “My sister used to always say, your dreams are your worries – don't worry. I will not let that happen to you. Forget that dream, it'll hold you back.. Carry on as if you never saw it.”

That moment, as she hung up the phone I knew that she didn't understand.. I looked around my room trying to find something to lift my spirits. By my door was a piece of paper “Fear not, for I am with you.” I was so confused. Where had it come from? My mom must of dropped it? I picked it up and placed it in my mom's room on her dressing table. When I walked back into my room in the same place was another note. “Fear not, for I am with you. Never will, I leave you, never will I forsake you.” Again, I took it into my mom's room and placed it on her dressing table, the other note was still there. The confusion took over my mind until I heard Jades voice “carry on as if you never saw it” So I did.. I entered my room and for the third time there was a note. “Isaiah 41:10, Hebrews 13:5, John 16:27” for the 3rd time I took the note into my mom's bedroom and placed it on her dressing table.

My laptop then called my name, my bible sat elegantly next to it. I instantly picked up my laptop, gave my bible one last sorrowful glance and thought “tomorrow.” My laptop showed that I had 5 new messages.

Chance Brady: “Baby, what's up?”

Chance Brady: “You ok?”

Chance Brady: “Oi”