One

Like a black canvas it followed me everywhere. A simple glance behind me and there it was. My shadow. It was strange, even when the sun would set and everything was dark it would still be there. In the darkest of rooms it stood by my side, never leaving. I came to accept it, even in my loneliest moments it was always there. Listening... Comforting me without speaking a single word... My only true friend. My shadow. And so much more.

***

"Hey Danny, still a freak?!"

"Of course he is! He's like a demon!"

"Run away or he'll catch you and make you his new little shadow!"

"Run away, run away! Evil Danny, Evil Danny!"

     These voices taunt me. Haunting me. They scream at me inside my head. Stop. I want them to stop. Just leave me alone. I'm not a freak. I'm not a demon. I'm not evil. I swear. Please. Just please stop. I can't take this torment anymore...

***

     I stare at my alarm clock and watch as the minutes tick by. Minutes turn into hours and eventually it beeps, reminding me just what today is. The first day back to school. I'm finally a senior and it's the last year of school till I'm finally free.

Finally.

     Swinging my legs over the side of the bed I sit up and rub my eyes. I look to my side and sigh. Of course. What did I expect? A miracle? No, not at all. There in all its dark, looming glory, was my shadow. Right by my side like always.

     Ignoring it I decide to get up and take a shower. My hands massage the delicious smelling soap into my hair, lavender and honey. My mum always said it made me smell so wonderful that she could just eat me up. I smiled at the memory before frowning. My mum has been dead for years. I miss her...

     Living on my own isn't all that bad but it can be a bit lonely. Especially when your only friend and family is the shadow that follows you around everywhere you go. All of my family is either dead or in some other country far away. I have no friends. Everybody thinks I'm a freak. Sometimes I believe it. Maybe I really am a freak.

     I jump, startled by the shampoo bottle that falls off the shelf in the shower. Remembering school I quickly rinse and get out, drying myself. I head back to my room and decide on wearing a black v-neck that hugs my chest and dark red skinny jeans. Hell, if everyone didn't think I was such a freak I'd probably have girls all over me.

I'm not gonna lie, I am quite handsome.

     Messy brown hair and emerald green eyes with pale skin like porcelain. I didn't have any muscles but that's okay, I didn't mind. I was actually pretty tiny, with a skinny body but not rib showing skinny and a height of 5'4, I was small.

     My mum used to say it was because I never drank enough milk or ate enough protein. I always just shrugged my shoulders, nothing I can do about it now.

     I threw on my favorite grey hoodie and slid on my black converse before grabbing my backpack and heading out. Locking the door behind me I started towards school. I hated the bus, paper balls thrown at the back of my head and spit balls covering my neck. It was truly disgusting.

     I was thankful for the short distance I had to walk. Being late on the first day is awful. My eyes drop down as I stare at the ground. There it was, my shadow. It somehow made me smile and I waved at it.

"FREAK!"

     Someone yelled from the other side of the road. My hand dropped back down to my side and I just kept walking with my head down. I thought today might not be that bad but I was sadly mistaken.

The school finally came into view making me sigh.

'Yay, another day of hell.'

***

A/N

Kinda short chapter but whatever, next one will be longer. Really excited to write this book I thought it was a really great idea. Also proud of myself for finding such a good pic for the cover omg.

Anyways, yes indeed I seriously need to update my other books but with school and everything it's tough. Don't hate meh please
;^; I'll eventually update them.

VOTE and COMMENT PLEASE!
^-^