December 22nd

Author's Note: Well I had actually been working on this for a while and was basically writing this when I was stuck on how to continue with "Who You Really Are". As you can see from the title, this is in celebration for Kageyama's Birthday (baby birb is growing up TTuTT). I hope you enjoy this oneshot (my first ever oneshot *gasp*) as much as i (didnt) enjoy writing this (terrible thing).

Also I promise I AM working on the next chapter of "Who You Really Are". Seriously. I am. As much as it is hard to believe.

Also have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I'll be in China for a month so I don't know if I'll be able to write during that time so I'll just apologize before hand.

Without further ado, I give you my first ever oneshot!

***

Kageyama Tobio had a routine.

It was a routine that wasn't really a routine. Just small things he'd do, at least once a year, at most once every few months. It had become a habit, and he called it a routine purely out of convenience.

Kageyama Tobio had a routine.

It would begin every year on a cold winter's morning, the dim midday sun barely managing to poke its rays through the small gaps in the curtains. It would begin with the shrill beeping of his alarm that occurred every day, screeching its ear-splitting voice that Kageyama loathed so much. Except on days like these, in which he would long since be woken up by the still peaceful moments of silent ticking and cold, empty bedsheets. It's on days like these where he catches himself almost missing the loud background noise.

(God would you just turn that thing off?)

It would begin with reminiscing about the past.

Kageyama would devote the first few hours of his consciousness on his oh-so-sweet days off, to remembering what had already come and gone. He would furrow his brows at the irritating parts and smirk at the stupid parts. Sometimes he would even allow himself to indulge in the luxury of a small smile if there were parts that were really worth living for.

(Like ones that had to do with volleyball and a certain volleyball dumbass.)

It would begin with sitting in the living room on one of the two couches and warming his fingers with the heat of the coffee, seeping through the white porcelain mug. Kageyama had always enjoyed coffee over other hot beverages. He preferred the strong, bittersweet aroma of coffee beans and milk rather than the artificial smells of liquefied chocolate or dried leaves. Coffee with milk was good. Not too sweet, for he never really had much of a sweet tooth, and not too bitter, for who had ever liked bitter things?

(How do you even drink that thing? Why don't you just drink hot chocolate, I bet you've never even tried it before!)

It would continue with the careful choice of what to wear for the rest of the day. You could argue over why it was necessary to agonize over something as small as this and why someone like Kageyama would even bother. But then again, special days called for special attire. Kageyama would always choose from the small selection of his best clothes, which of most were dark blue or grey suits. He would always wish that he could wear something a little more colourful than the same old dull tones. Unfortunately, something like an orange suit would probably not come off as very formal at all. In fact, Kageyama would be more worried about the fact that he might be mistaken for some freak from the circus. In the end, Kageyama would always go for the dark blue suit.

(Can't you choose something brighter for once?)

It would then continue with the hastily pulled on overcoat that Kageyama had treasured and kept in a pristine condition for years. He would grab his wallet and keys from the dining room table, skip breakfast and leave out his apartment door into the chill of the outdoors.