Chapter 1

Rewritten

My feet tapped upon the ground as I smoked the long pipe that I held in my hand. An old tune playing inside my head, one that my mother used to sing to me, the words long forgotten.

The day in the shire was beautiful just like it always was, but today something else was going to happen. I could feel it. The usual tension was there again, it was like the beginning of a headache, but I had grown to smart to be fooled by it. The visions weren't as often as they once were.

Here I was sitting on a little old stool just outside the round door that led to my hobbit hole. My hole wasn't much, but I was proud of it. The grass in the front yard was a bit overgrown, a clothes line hung on the wall connected to a wooden stake in the ground.

Now, you may think I'm a pure hobbit. Of course I am! I live in the shire! But that's not the case, I'm a bit of everything. I've got the pointy ears of an elf. The drinking spirit of a dwarf. I've also got some hobbit in me, quick on my feet. Not Orc though, no bad blood. I'm also partially skin-changer. My animal is a fox, the colors of my fur vary. I've got some magic in my veins too, not sure where that came from. And I'm a bit of my own. I see bits if the future, what they are, or what they can be.

I'm a little bit taller than 5 foot, much more than the average hobbit, but less than an elf. I've got bright green eyes, although when I'm a fox they change to brown. My hair ends just above my waist and is a wavy bright orange. My kind don't really have a name, we could pass by as just about any race, but Orc. We are immortal, but we do sleep. I keep my real name hidden, for the only people who know it are the ones that I know I can truly trust. So instead, I go by the name, Autumn Colors. Cheesy, yes I know.

Weapon of choice; bow an arrow and throwing knives, although when I'm a fox I like to use my nails and teeth.

Any way now that you some of me I can get on with my life. A long pipe was held in my left hand, I puffed out little rings of smoke. My feet tapped against the soft grassy earth. My eyes danced across the world around me. Life itself was amazing at times.

I finished my pipe and got up walking inside my smaller than-average hobbit hole. I set my pipe down on an old shelf than hung secured onto the wall. I picked up a cloak and a worn basket and left my home. Walking out up and down the winding road that ran all though out the shire I finally came to one that I had grown fairly familiar with. It was the home of Bilbo Baggins. Quite a nice hobbit that I had met when I first came to the shire.  I put my hood down and walked right up to the door, knocking lightly, I waited for it to open.

It soon opened just a wee bit.  I saw a tiny sliver of Bilbo's face then he invited me into his home.   "Autumn! lovely to see you today!  Out to pick some mushrooms?"

"Yes a few, would you like me to make you a pickled jar of some?"

"Oh a-ah yes! Yes t-that'd be wonderful thank you!"  It was then that I noticed a tall lean figure with a blue pointed hat on standing off to the side.  I immediately recognized as an old friend.

"Gandulf! fancy seeing you here! It's been to long!"

A smile stretched out his face as he opened his arms and embraced me. I excused myself, knowing Gandulf if he was here, he was here to ask a favor. Not wanting to be in the midst of it I quickly excused myself and waited outside the hobbit hole.

I could hear faint whispers going on among the inside of the home, then the door opened and out stepped Bilbo and Gandulf.

Bilbo, smoking a long pipe sat on a little old wooden stool, Gandulf came over to me. "Autumn, we're having a gathering sometime in the near future, I would like for you to come."