Chapter 1

She was old. Not too old, but she was - well, no where near his age. She hadn't even dressed to the nines like he had. A leather skirt, and a shirt made of those sparkly sequins Gem used for art projects back in elementary. To go to an opera of all places! She was old though. There was no amount of sequins and leather that could disguise that. 

 "It was, uhm," he said running a hand across the back of his neck with a weak smile. "Uhm, a pleasure to accompany you tonight on such sort notice." 

Over the sound of his heartbeat, literally nothing she could have said would have gotten his attention. It was like a siren of screeching and wailing tires resounded through his skull when he felt her hand sear through his pant leg. 

"Eherm, again Mrs Crosley. Nice to have met you. I hope you had a lovely night." He hoped his tone gave a sort of finality to the evening, and that she would kindly retreat from the limo she had kindly reserved for their night. He had a novel waiting for him at home. 

 After a startling advance, in which he nearly avoided a slobbery attack, Harry rubbed his head woefully, having bonked his head off the window to get away. 

 "Not used to the old ladies yet, are ya young man?" Blinking in shock, his eyes met those of the drivers. "Nah - so I thought." The old man nodded, chuckling to shake his head with a sigh, sharing a pleasant conversation with the young lad until he pulled in front of his home. 

 "A bit of a shady neighbourhood for someone as well off as you, innit?" 

 Harry gave him a smile, slowly easing himself out already. "I'm saving up." 

 "For wha'?"

"Something worthwhile." Harry sighed, barely shutting the door as he did. 

            ♫ 

"Cut it out, James." 

"What if I don't want to? What then, miss genius?"At the sound of giggling wafting from the inside the lounge, the day old intern standing outside bit her lip bashfully, announcing herself with a cleared throat, walking full steam into the room. 

 "Oh," pink lips forming a perfect circle, stained with red, Melina West could barely remember a pair of muscular forearms were latched around her middle. But that was barely. Her dark eyes never leaving the blushing new-girl, her own mocha skin cheeks beginning to redden. "Oh, Lucy! We were just -"

"Morning," grinning cheerily, a man just as respected as his female counterpart rested his defined jaw on her blouse shoulder. "Finding everything okay on your first day?" 

"Fine, thanks," stuttering to clear her throat again, and secretly appraising how effortlessly the female Einstein in front of her composed herself in those single two moments, Lucy blinked rapid in succession, "Miss West, there's a messenger just outside waiting to hand you something. He wouldn't let me take it from him - ma'am." 

Embarrassed and now looking at her high-healed toes, Lucy barely stayed another two seconds before fleeing. Spinning on spot, Melina laughed loudly, her lips baring a wide grin as she smacked his shoulder, "You idiot, I just bet she's chattering to Joselle in filing by now -" 

 With a swift wink and a well placed kiss, James grabbed the coffee he actually came to make when in the lounge, "No sweetheart, that's Jodi in shipping you're thinking of." 

 "Oh," tilting her head to stare into space cutely for a second, Melina shook her head of cobwebs, "Right, messenger - see you soon." 

 "Dinner, at Rosies, remember?" Laughing at her no longer dazed appearance, James watched over the rim of his mug as she looked perfectly calm and collected. Not to mention gorgeous to boot.

 "Right, Rosies, eight o'clock," sponging a kiss to his bottom lip with a gentle rock of her toes, Melina's dark ribbons of hair spun with her as she hastily left.Calling from the room, Melina laughed quietly hearing his faint, 'Don't forget!' before she ran into a very solid chest. With a yelp and an ungraceful shove backwards with both hands previously splayed on said chest, Melina stared with wide doe eyes up at her attacker. 

 "Well, hello there, beautiful."Huffing at his unpleasant greeting, in which she didn't even think she was supposed to have heard, Melina's walls crashed into place. 

"Watch where you're going next time .. please."The workout-dressed man standing in front of her stared blankly for a moment at her straightening of her skirt and tucked in shirt before he snapped to.

 "Are you Miss M. West?" At her lack of response, the messenger looked up from his clipboard, forest eyes meeting hers. "Awesome, I have an envelope for you, if you'd just sign right here -" 

It didn't take long before it was too quiet in her office, standing with a stranger in biking shorts and a well defining t-shirt. It was far too quiet, and that's all she could think of. 

 "Nice office you've got," heaving himself into a plush chair, Melina's shoulders tensed as her eyes lifted from the bundle of envelope she'd just received to give a once over, head to toe, this man in front of her. 

"Is this cashmere?"Grinning toothily at her, Melina barely held his bright-eyed gaze. 

Not many people spoke to her so playfully any more. Actually no one did besides her parents, and she barely had time to give them a proper Skype chat.Giving him a piece of her mind, she swallowed and narrowed her dark iris' pointedly, "You're dirty." 

"Excuse me?" Vibrating chuckles emerging from his throat, the carrier rested his elbows on his knees, amused. 

 "I said, you're dirty." Blinking up at him from under her lashes, Melina had a hard time not grinning. His laughter was infectious to her disgruntlement, "So please, get off my chair." 

 "What a way for a lady to speak," still laughing, he nodded his head towards the now opened package. "I'll be back in a couple days to return that to its sender. Already paid for, if you were wondering." 

Scoffing at the thought of it, Melina bit the inside of her lower lip to stop from giggling. "Oh," facing her while still making his way to her office door, he grinned lopsided at the glower he was receiving from tracking a slight trail of stones, "And thank-you for asking for my name, lovely lady. It's nice to know a man's work is appreciated." 

In mock bow, his head stooping so low that only his curly crown of hair was noticeable, Melina gulped unhappily at not seeing that stupid smirk she knew he was supporting.Feeling an embarrassed flush working its way up her neck, she watched his retreating back, his hat tipping from his head in a goodbye salute. Tilting out of her seat to watch his retreating back, Melina had the decency to blush five more shades of purple when another intern passed by and caught her staring. 

 "Don't you dare look for his name," murmuring to herself, Melina deftly pushed the envelope with every carriers seal of signature from her desk and into the trash. "Don't you dare.