New World

This position that I'm in. I have been expecting it to come a lot sooner, but I am very surprised at how I got here. These last few events have been so blasting in my face. Ten years just rained down on me in the last half hour. Is it less than that? I don't know. It feels like it's been five minutes, but I don't know whether to trust my own logic or not. As hard as it is to do so, I try to calm down, and re-think the recent events.

I watched in excitement at the tv screen. I had been waiting far too long for this moment to arrive, and now it finally has. I'm sitting in my apartment styled home. Or not so much home as much as where I had been living for the past several years. The t.v. is split into multiple screens, the smaller ones showing news stations showing different bias to be fair to both my adversary and I.

"Hey Deric." I laughed and patted a hand down on the seat next to me. "Come watch your country fall."

The main screen had the most important part. A colour coded map showing who owned what on earth. I had almost everything. My massive amounts of land surrounded Deric's final country in China. And not old China either. He had nearly halved the size of China, for political reasons I still don't understand. But it worked in my favour, so I don't complain. He had a dense amount of troops and weaponry in one area, but the sheer numbers that I owned meant that his last country would not be standing for much longer.

"Come on. You're going to miss all the good stuff."

He came and sat down. His expression was entirely melancholy. There were days he was overly moody and days it felt like he had no emotion at all. And then there were days like this. Where he didn't talk, didn't listen, and had the same serious expression on. I could tell that he was trying to hide fear behind that expression. He was very good at hiding his emotions. Which was really annoying, because it meant he could bluff. He tried to play psychological games with me, but I always won. He could never get to me.

"You want to surrender now? Save all those lives?"

"You miss every shot you don't take." He said in monotone. He always gave all these analogies, and some of them didn't apply to the situation.

"But why bother swinging at a two-hundred miles per hour ball? You know you're going to miss."

"If I don't swing it is a guarantee I miss."

"Ok. If you say so." We sat there waiting for a while. "You know it's funny." I got no response. "We have been doing this for what, ten years? And when it finally ends it feels like it means nothing. I couldn't be more excited, but I feel rather sorry for you." I wait a little more. I could give the order now, but I let the glorified moment sink in. I wish this moment could last forever but I knew Daric wouldn't allow that to happen, so I had to finish it. "I'm going to give the order. You ready?"

"My troops are ready. Although there is no relevance to your asking."

"Why not?"

"A farmer does not ask a caged chicken if it is ready to be eaten." I laughed.

"Yes but a hunter makes sure the fox is ready for the hunt. Otherwise it would be over too quickly."

"You want to prolong this last battle as much as possible?"

"You must not know me very well." I pulled out my communicator. I took a deep breath and gave the command. "Attack at will." directly after that, Deric lifted his communicator to his mouth at well,

"They are beginning the attack. You know what to do." Almost instantly, the news programs shut off. The one with the sound on let out a final "This is it. When the program re-airs, I'll be either dead or victorious." I had learned Chinese over the years here. It made things so much easier because I could understand the politics on Deric's side. Our wars weren't just physical. Especially early on, they were very political. What's the point in taking over a country if no one who's living in it wants you there.