Chapter 1: Boarding

"Last call for flight ASN8349"
I can't believe it, yet, this is it. For the first time in my entire life, I'm flying to Hawaii. For it being my first time in a plane going over seas, my parents didn't terribly stress over the situation.

I'm finally going to Hawaii for a much needed vacation. I can't believe it, yet, it's happening. It's strange knowing that my parents aren't exactly worrying, or  here to see me off. It's rather out of the normal, but it's not like I'm complaining. I'm getting away from the hustle and bustle of the area. But, without a doubt, I will have mountains of messages from my parents asking me if I've landed and if I'm enjoying the commute.  Not to mention the constant reminders about safety, I mean I can't blame them, they are doctors, they are constantly fretting about safety, but that isn't the only reason. Our family lost someone very important to us due to a plane crash, but it was years ago. Airlines have improved, better yet we're in a small jet! The chances  of something happening are minimized, at least to me. 

I should catch up with my friend, Jazz before she leaves without me. The thing is, she said that she was going to catch up with her other 'friends', to which I know none. I don't even know them and I'm already on a plane with them to another region of the planet! Just what I wanted to know. Especially considering that she only just told me this morning, the day of departure. 

A voice from the distance brings me to attention
"Hurry up Emily!" Jazz screams across the airport.
"Coming!" I say hastily as to not keep her waiting.
I'm starting to regret my decisions, but it's too late to back out now. Just got to put on my brave face and hide my sadness. But why should I be sad? I'm going on a plane for the first time! Even though she's worse than my parents when it comes to my parents nagging, but we get along... What else can I ask for?

Leaving the public spaces, I'm now walking across the red high-quality carpet toward a private boarding area with Jazz. She looked a bit snobbish while walking as to bring as much attention to herself as possible, like she owned the place. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if she did.

"You are going to love this trip Emm. We're at a resort that, of course my Daddy owns and-" I spaced out. I'm pretty sure she continued to babble on. I really don't like it when she goes on about how much her family owns. It's bad enough that I'm going on a pristine white private jet with her and her friends who were waiting on us already. What if they're all just like her. Pretty, rich, the perfect person that everyone wants to date. And then there'll be me. Poor and ugly. Great. Just what I needed to decrease my self-esteem.

"Emily~. Emily!"
"Huh?"
"Were you even listening to me?"
"Uh, yes?"
"Oh, good! Anyways as I was saying." she continued, so I just started to ignore her, again.

We finally passed through security and we're now walking across the concrete toward the jet with all three of her friends waiting there for us.

As we walked toward the plane to board, one of Jazzes "friends" approached me looking rather adventurous? Like he was going to do something romantic. 

I continued to and up the steps, then the "sway guy" nudges past me and nearly knocks me off the stairs as we were boarding. And of course he doesn't notice cause his head's too big for his body. God, the nerve of him! And then he kisses Jazz on the cheek? What the hell?! Jazz never told me that she had a boyfriend!

"Hey babe, what's up?"
"Nothing really, and yo-," she stops herself in her own tracks. "Wait I don't believe you two have met!"
Oh, it'd seem that I exist now. She remembered me.
"Chad, this is Emily and Emily, this is Chad!"
I waved nervously, but he just  turned on his heels, went up the stairs and entered the plane without a second thought. He mustn't be in a good mood I guess, but there's no need to take that out on me.
"He's like this sometimes, don't take it personally," Jazz sighed without a care in the world, shrugging her shoulders.

Aside from that rather miserable encounter, I boarded the jet and went to sit down in between Jazz and another one of her friends.

It was an awkward silence while we waited for the others to sit down.

"Hi, I'm Alexandra, but my friends call me Alex"
"Hey, my names Emily but my friends usually call me Em... unless they're pissed off at me."
"Same here! Oh my gosh someone that's like me!" Alex blabbed. I chuckled at her quirkiness. I could get along with her I thought.

As Alex and I were introducing ourselves, the intercom turned on to a light static noise before he began to speak to us. The pilot of the plane told us the major dangers of flying in a small plane like the one we were in, and we were then instructed to fasten our seat belts before takeoff, he then went on with information about how far it was to get to Hawaii. A few moments later, after talking about emergency procedure, the pilot started up the plane and before we knew it we were in the air on our way to the beach, sun and surf.