Chapter One

Chapter One: The Prologue

*Nearly a Thousand Years Ago*

        The sky was grey, but it wasn't cold. Light dribbles of rain dropped from the sky, giving water to the land below. Everyone who lived in the small village was inside, preparing their dinners and talking about what needed to be done around before winter came. Except for two people. Two people who seemed to be having the time of their lives, playing out in the muddy and wet paths that led through the encampment.

        It was a young boy and a young girl. Two teenagers, neither of them older than seventeen, ran as fast as they could through the village. They weaved their way through gardens, stealthily ran under clothing lines, and slid slightly across the mud, laughing loudly as they did so. The boy was chasing after the girl, lunging towards her whenever he got the chance, but the girl was smart. She dodged all his attempts gracefully, and with a smile on her face.

        "Slow down, Emelia!" The boy exclaimed after another failed attempt of grabbing the girl.

        Emelia erupted into a small fit of giggles. "Why?" She questioned, jokingly. "So that you can catch me? I don't think so. Where woud be the fun in that?"

        With that, she took off again, her animal-skin slippers getting soaked in the mud. She held up the front of her dress a little higher, bringing it just above her ankles, making it easier to run. She turned her head slightly to look behind her, only for her eyes to find nothing. She immediately halted, her laughter stopping as she looked around for her friend who was now gone.

        Emelia stepped forward, her eyes scanning the area around her, waiting for the boy to make a noise that hinted to where he was. She looked at the dark forest a little ways in front of her, feeling fear begin to race through her, replacing the excitement that had originally been in its place.

        Her eyes landed on a dark figure, and at first she believed it was her friend. Until she noticed how the person stood. Their shoulders were hunched forwards, and their knees were slightly bent as they stared back at her. Emelia took a step forward, only to hear a branch break behind her. The fear quickly replicated, causing her heart to make a quick, erratic thump.

        With lightning speed she turned around, feeling arms wrap around her waist before she was tugged into a chest. A squeal left her as she jumped in surprise, before quickly notifying who the person was, mainly due to the loud laughter that was emitting from him.

        "Kol!" She screeched over his laughter, "You just gave me the worst fright of my life!"

        "I'm sorry, darling," Kol laughed, releasing the angered girl from his arms.

        Emelia rolled her brown eyes, giving him a glare. "No, you're not."

        "You're right," Kol stated, calming for a moment. "I'm not. The look on your face was very entertaining."

        Once again, Kol erupted into laughter at the face Emelia gave him. She ignored him though, turning back towards the spot where she had seen the man. Nothing was there except for the tree he had been standing behind.

        "What is it?" Kol asked, coming to stand on Emelia's right. His chocolate colored eyes scanned the area in front of him, before looking down at Emelia as he spotted nothing but sticks, stones, and the occasional bush.

        "Nothing, I just thought I saw someone." Emelia admitted, still looking.

        As soon as the statement left her lips, she heard Kol once again crack up with laughter. She turned her head to look at him, giving him an annoyed and confused look as she watched the brown haired boy chuckle with glee.