Life and Public Services of John Quincy Adams Sixth President of the Unied States

JOHN QUINCY ADAMS ***

Produced by Don Kostuch

L I F E AND PUBLIC SERVICES of JOHN QUINCY ADAMS, SIXTH PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

WITH THE EULOGY DELIVERED BEFORE THE LEGISLATURE OF NEW YORK.

BY WILLIAM H. SEWARD.

[Transcriber's Notes:] This text is an accurate reproduction of the original book with the following exceptions. Obvious misspellings and typos have been corrected but contemporary usage is unchanged, e.g. "centre". Sentences spanning pages have been joined to facilitate searches and analysis.

I encourage you to forgive the verbose style that suggests authors were paid by the word. The gems of character description and contemporary viewpoints are worth the effort.

The book supports the observation "The news never changes, just the names." I am encouraged that the tone of politics is not much different today than it was at Adams' time. Things are no worse. In spite of continual bickering, a few persons with good will, careful planning, hard work and a thick skin can achieve wonderful results.

The following glossary contains unfamiliar (to me) terms.

abjuration Renounce under oath; forswear. Recant solemnly; repudiate. Give up. Abstain from.

abstemious Eating and drinking in moderation. Sparingly used. Restricted to bare necessities.

Aceldama A place with dreadful associations.

animadversion Strong criticism.

approbate Sanction officially; authorize.

arbitrament Arbitrating; arbitration. Judgment of an arbitrator or arbiter.

assiduity Persistent application or diligence; unflagging effort. Constant personal attention.

(a)thymy (Not) abounding with thyme; fragrant.

barouche Four-wheeled carriage with a collapsible top, two double seats inside opposite each other, and a box seat outside in front for the driver.

barque Sailing ship with three to five square-rigged masts, except the after mast, which is fore-and-aft rigged. Small vessel propelled by oars or sails.

benison Blessing; a benediction.

cesural Pause in a line of verse dictated by sense or natural speech rhythm rather than by metrics. Pause in conversation.

chaplet Wreath or garland for the head.

Circean (Circe) A Greek goddess who turned Odysseus's men temporarily into swine but later gave him directions for their journey home.

coeval Originating or existing during the same period; lasting through the same era. One of the same era or period; a contemporary.

condign Deserved; adequate.

contemned Viewed with contempt; despised.

contumelies Rudeness or contempt arising from arrogance. Insolent or arrogant remarks or acts.

cortege Train of attendants of a distinguished person; a retinue. Ceremonial procession. Funeral procession.

demurrage Detention of a cargo conveyance during loading or unloading beyond the scheduled time of departure. Compensation paid for such detention.

deputed Appoint or authorize as a representative. Assign (authority or duties) to another; delegate.

descant Ornamental melody or counterpoint sung or played above a theme. Highest part sung in part music. Discussion or discourse on a theme.