Part One

The last thing Derek was expecting to happen was to fall in love with someone in a homeless shelter.

He'd been going there like clockwork ever since the fire. Every year at dinner time, he'd go to the shelter just outside of Beacon Hills. He'd show up with an armload of items, drop them off, chat with a few of the people he's gotten to know over the years, and then head back home.

It's not like he had anyone to buy gifts for; everyone who hadn't died in the fire blamed Derek — rightfully so, in his mind — , leaving him alone. He hadn't made many friends when he returned to his hometown, Erica and Boyd were great, but they insisted he didn't buy them anything. Derek was going to buy them something anyway; he overheard Erica saying that they desperately needed a new washer and dryer, and like he said, he has no one else to buy for.

A hefty inheritance from his parents and only two friends to buy presents for over the holidays left a lot of room for him to give people things they actually need. So on the twenty-third of December, he heads over to Walmart and proceeds to fill at least two carts full of items. He buys blankets, hats, mittens, mouthwash, toothpaste and toothbrushes, shampoo and body wash, deodorant, pads and tampons, bottles of water, snacks, socks and underwear, dress shirts and dress pants, a few dressy outfits for women, other miscellaneous items and baking supplies. He throws in a few small toys as well, knowing that some of those who stay at the shelter have children who may wonder where Santa went.

He then spends the entirety of Christmas Eve wrapping what he's bought and putting them into gift bags, labeling them 'female' and 'male'. He knows he's being a bit sexist, but trying to organize them some other way without being crude ("Vagina-Owners" may raise a few questions) while still distributing the supplies in a way that ensures that those who do have vaginas get what they need, and can dress in a way society deems 'appropriate' for a job interview, if they're looking.

He's met a few transgender people throughout the years, but now there's an unspoken rule to just leave whatever you don't need in one of the empty bags Derek leaves in the kitchen, and then people can trade. When the night's over, it goes into storage, and then comes back out the next Christmas so that if anyone has specific needs that doesn't fit Derek's labeling, they can sort through the bag.

Derek puts the kids' toys in a different bag, all wrapped up. He'll make a trip earlier in the day to talk to the parents to figure out names to put on the gifts, and then hand them out after dinner.

"Santa said getting here was a bit hard this morning, Rudolph had a hard time on the icy roof. He's left these with me though, to give to you guys."

The children are wary of him at first, as they always are, but then hesitantly go up to him with a small smile once their name is called. It makes Derek happy, ensuring that others have at least a half-decent Christmas.

Derek's favourite part of the entire thing (besides making everyone happy) had always been the baking. He loved losing himself in it, decorating the sugar cookies and having his apartment smell slightly of cinnamon.

On Christmas Day, he'll bake and bake and bake, and then put everything in tupperware and add it to the large spread in the shelter's kitchen. He's always told he doesn't have to, but Derek wants to. It's the least he can do, after everything else he's caused.

Just thinking about it makes his stomach twist uncomfortably. He had trusted Kate, loved her even. He hadn't known that all she wanted was his money — she had been so genuine in the beginning. Then he made the mistake of inviting her to his family's Christmas Feast. All the Hales gathered around, young and old, and shared their company from the twenty-third to the twenty-sixth. Kate had ruined it all.

No, Derek makes himself think, I'm not going to let her ruin another Christmas. He takes a deep breath, loads up his arms, and takes them to his Camaro.

What, he wasn't allowed one indulgence?

Once the back of the car is packed tight, he takes another deep breath and puts the car in drive

He arrives right at six o'clock, his normal time, and when he walks in, the shelter's kitchen is already buzzing with people getting served. A few recognize him, but his heart hurts when he spots Charlie, an eight — well he guesses nine now — year-old he had met last year. Charlie runs up to him and throws his little arms around Derek's neck.

"Momma said you might not come this year, since you've got other things to do, but I know you'd be here! You're like Santa, except for muscley and with black hair. You wouldn't forget me!"

"Of course I wouldn't, bud. I thought you and your mom were working on a place to stay, though, are you guys alright?"

Charlie's eyes light right up. "We've got a whole apartment and everything! We got it during the summer. We're just here to visit my friend Stiles, I met him here in the spring! Momma wanted to spend the dinner at our new home, but I promised Stiles I'd come see him. He doesn't look very happy to be here a lot of the time, he says it's because his daddy was mean."

Derek's heart tugs. If there was something that made him sadder than seeing children in this shelter with their parents, it was seeing a parent and child obviously hiding from an abusive parent.

"At least he's safe here, right?" Derek asks, and Charlie nods, his blonde curls going everywhere. "What do you say you help me unload my car? You've gotta be really careful, but I think you're old enough."

"Yeah!" Charlie cheers, "But then I can introduce you to Stiles, right? I think you'll really like him."

"Of course, buddy. Go tell your mom you're coming with me, okay? I'll wait here."

Charlie races off, and Derek smiles. He's happy that the two of them were finally able to get back on their feet. Charlie's mother, Kali, had been thrown out by her fiance one evening, no explanation. She had taken Charlie, five at the time, and stayed with friends until they eventually made her leave as well.

Derek had met Kali at one of his rare drop-ins during the fall where he dropped off extra halloween costumes and candy for kids who still wanted to try trick-or-treating.

She had expressed that while she did have a little money, she worked for her fiance, so when he made her leave, he took her job too. Derek had been furious, promising to find Kali a job by Christmas. When he presented her with an opportunity at a grocery store, she had cried as if he had just offered to buy the apartment himself (okay, maybe he made a special bag for her that included first and last month's rent, some common house items and a picture of the fully-furnished place, but).

Derek liked giving, and he liked the expressions of those he gave to.

Charlie comes back, hat and mittens on, ready to help. Derek led the way, listening to Charlie's chatter through every trip.