Chapter 1: Rough Childhood

Learning at a young age that life isn't always rainbows and sunshines is pretty hard to take in. But it's harder when it turns to shit in a short amount of time and you've done nothing to deserve it.

Harsh coughing echoed through the bedroom where rested Mae, she had been sick for about 4 years now, but no one could really blame her. The conditions in which she lives are god awful, and her precious pregnancy had only made the matter worse.

"We must get you a doctor." Dara, her sister-in-law spoke, handing her a glass of water. "This is getting out of hand.."

"And where would we get the money for so?" Mae smiled sadly before drinking her water and clearing her throat. "I'll be fine.. I'm strong!" A giggle allowed itself to escape from her lips.

The door creaked open, a little head peeking from behind it, big light sky blue eyes gazing around with curiosity.

"Isn't this my little sweetheart? Finally awake!" Mae spoke with glee, opening her arms for the little girl that started to run to her bed, climbing as well as her short body allowed it. Once fully on the bed, she crawled quickly to her mom and clung to her.

"Mommy, mommy! I grew from THIS much!" The girl proudly showed a most likely exaggerated space with her fingers, but Mae gasped in surprise to make her daughter feel even more proud.

"You did? Oh my, my little Sammy is growing so fast!" Showering Sam's head with gentle kisses, Mae listened to the giggles escaping her daughter with a heavy heart; this was probably one of the last times she would be hearing this sound, and she couldn't bare the thought of it.

Dara smiled softly and sat up. "I'll go fetch you two's breakfast, how does pancakes sounds?"

Sam gasped and looked up at her aunt. "With choco milk!!"

"Along with chocolate milk." She laughed and walked out, leaving the small family by themselves.

"Sammy, I have to tell you something important, okay..?" Mae spoke with a saddened tone that her daughter was quick to pick up.

"Is it about why you cough so much..?" Sam looked up at her with sad eyes. "I hear you cough and cough really hard a lot, and you sleep a lot too.. Are you gonna be okay, mommy?"

That was a heart breaking statement to hear, especially from a 4 year old. Mae sucked back the sobs she wanted to let out so bad and tightened her grip on Sam's shirt.

"Yes, Sammy... Mommy's been really sick lately, and mommy doesn't have enough money to have a doctor to help. I don't know what will happen, but mommy wants you to stay strong, okay?" She made a pause once she caught a glimpse of her daughters eyes, which started to water and her cheeks had already grown red. "And no matter what happens, mommy will always be with you, okay sweetheart?"

It didn't take long for Sam to break into a loud cry, burying her face into Mae's shoulder and sobbing out her name. Mae expected it, Sam is still a baby, this was heavy to take in and to even accept.

"Oh, baby..." Mae allowed her own tears to leave their hiding place and she held Sam closer. "Don't worry, I'm not leaving anytime soon, I promise. Mommy will stay right here with you as long as she can."

A few more choked out sobs were what it took until Sam stopped crying and looked up at her mom, nodding slowly and rubbed her eyes. "Okay, mommy.." She sniffled one last time before Mae brushed her tears away with her thumbs, cupping her cheeks gently. Mae smiled one of those motherly smiles; truthful and loving, she knew Sam needed it.