The Birthday (Danisnotonfire Fanfic)

Hey guys! You might have noticed that I haven't posted in a very long time! I'm really sorry, I've just been so busy and forgotten all about it and then I had writer's block and aaarrgghh. The only reason I put this up was for IAmBritishAtHeart because she reads all my fics and I really like her imagines so it's dedicated to her! :) Thanks for reading!

I rolled out of bed, stumbling as I regained my feet. Blearily, I looked around the room. I realised I was at Dan's house and then remembered the night before. We'd stayed in for a Harry Potter marathon and then I had fallen asleep instead of going home. I smiled and looked back at the bed, searching for Dan's familiar shape, sprawled on the bed or tucked in a ball under the covers. He wasn't there. 

Blinking, I staggered from the room, still clumsy with sleep. The smell of cooking wafted from the kitchen. I wondered if Phil was up or something, seeing as Dan rarely got up before noon. But no, there he stood, poking something with a spatula and looking doubtful. 

Dan Howell was an internet sensation, one of the funniest people to ever grace Youtube and my boyfriend. I'd met him almost a year ago now and every moment had been incredible. I knew a lot about Dan, one of the most important things in this moment being that he could not cook to save his life. 

"Dan! What are you doing?" I asked, hurriedly taking the cooking bacon off him.

"Making you breakfast!"He protested, trying to gently push me out the way.

"Nu-uh!" I shoved him back, taking the completely burnt bacon off the pan and throwing it in the bin.

"Hey! That took me half an hour!" 

"I think it was just slightly overcooked." I commented sarcastically, dropping the pan into the sink and turning to face him. "Why are you so nice this morning?"

"Because it's your birthday!" 

Oh. I recalled that today was 10th of July and that it was also my birthday. Excitement exploded inside me. I had always loved birthdays, but then, who didn't? Glancing around the room, I felt a little disappointment.

"Where are my presents?" I had got a couple of packages already from my parents and various friends. Jennifer was supposed to be coming with me to Dan's today but since I was already here, I assumed she would just come meet me. My other friend, Rachel, was also turning up here too. She couldn't wait to meet Dan and Phil properly, she'd told me on the phone. She'd been away, in various places around the world, only visiting occasionally, almost since we'd left high school. Jennifer had traveled with her for a couple months and then come back to London, where I'd been living. I couldn't wait to see her!

"Phil will give you his when he wakes up."

"And you?"

Dan just smiled and turned away.

Somebody suddenly grabbed me from behind and hugged me. "Happy birthday!" Squealed an over-excited Phil.

"Thanks Phil!" I turned around to look at his beaming face. He threw a present into my hands and yelled, "Open it! Open it!"

Phil loved all types of celebration, if it was birthdays or Christmas. I ripped open my present, too caught up in the excitement to preserve the paper. 

A fluffy grey bundle toppled out, nearly hitting the floor before Dan caught it. I gazed at it in in happiness. It was a totoro, just like Dan's except it was obviously a girl. It had longer eyelashes and a blush on its cheeks. I hugged Phil hard and he laughed. 

"I'm just glad you like it! It took me forever to find!"

"Aww,  you don't need to go to so much trouble when you buy gifts, Phil!" I grinned, secretly pleased he had. Phil shrugged and I ran from the room to place my new totoro on the bed with Dan's.